Posted: Mar 29th 2008 7:46AM Skellybob said

Adrian here again, with some comments and clarifications. It seems a lot of people are taking the 'writing for the heroes' comment and assuming the worst.

The NCSoft representative who called for the show of hands was Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid, who was co-presenting Melissa's talk. I didn't name him at the time because I didn't know who he was.

There was NO suggestion that villain-only content was going to be scrapped altogether.

The point being illustrated by the show of hands (as I understood it) was that since the majority of people played heroes, it made most sense to have a lot of new content that included both sides rather than excluding the largest one.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 2:48PM Skellybob said

Let me make two things totally clear.

Nowhere was it said, nor implied, that villains won't be getting exclusive content of their own any more. We already know they will, in Issue 12.

'Streamlined' content that includes both Heroes and Villains is clearly going to be a big part of the future, because it makes sense to make a lot (that doesn't mean ALL!) of the content accessible to heroes. But nobody ever said it was going to be all of the future.

Rockjaw should be doing an interview with me soon, so he can comment on this (and I'm sure he will!) I'm concerned that people are still seeing all sorts of meanings in this article that just weren't there at the event. It was a blast, and the response from all sides was positive.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 7:54AM (Unverified) said

It doesn't matter what you say at this point, you've started something horrific :-P I just came from the City forums and people are crying DOOM more than ever.

This site's inane focus on second life was bad enough, but intentionally stirring **** up? I've been an avid Massively reader for months, but this'll be my last visit, thanks so effing much for making the weeks up to issue 12 even more unpleasant than they already were going to be.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 8:00AM Skellybob said

Nobody's intentionally stirring anything up. This was a very positive review of an awesome weekend.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 1:00PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like it was a blast. Thanks for the report!

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 2:54PM Skellybob said

It was! Though watching people in superhero costumes play CoH is weirdly recursive.

Posted: Mar 30th 2008 11:15AM (Unverified) said

So to comment on this myself... as Adrian says I'll probably comment on it more officially but might as well say it now.

Point (1): I work for NCsoft Europe. Not NCNC. I am not on the development team for COH/V.

Point (2): I have practically ZERO influence on what they choose to develop (or not).

Point (3): The comment that I made was totally off-hand and wasn't meant to be focused on. (No offence to Adrian, but I don't think it was that big a deal.)

Point (4): The comment was made in response to queries about more specific villain content, and I asked for the show of hands to confirm what we already know - that more people play heroes most of the time than play villains. That's a fact based on data.

Melissa responded by saying NCNC wanted to create more content that both sides could enjoy. However, she never said (and I was never, ever implying) that villains would get 'less' content than heroes.

As Melissa said in the Q&A and the contents of Issue 12 bear out (Villain Epic ATs, anyone?) there is no conscious effort on anyone's part that I'm aware of to 'stop' writing for villains. It just isn't going to happen.

Basing any 'dooom' predictions on one, offhand comment of mine is quite honestly a waste of your time - although hey, I know the boards, I know it happens; people like to scream 'doooom'.

I'm sure NCNC will be creating villain specific content for a long time to come, and I'm sure it'll be great.

BTW I find no fault in Massively for this, although to be fair I'd have preferred to talk to Adrian in person at the event. Next time. :D

Posted: Mar 30th 2008 1:31PM Krystalle Voecks said

@Stephen:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm certain readers will appreciate it.

I have added an edit to the post indicating that readers should check your
further commentary here so as to hopefully help defuse any "doom."

@the City Of... community:

We at Massively would like to apologize for any distress we may have inadvertently caused the community. It was our desire to bring you all an accounting of the fantastically fun party that NCsoft Europe threw for the European community as part of working to expand our City of... coverage here at Massively. Sadly, as occasionally happens in text, one comment has been taken out of context and regrettably become the focus of this as opposed to the main point of the report -- gamers and Devs having a great time together and looking to a bright future for both Heroes and Villains.

We can assure you from the times we've had the honor of working with the NCsoft NA and NCsoft Europe teams that these are people deeply and passionately dedicated to achieving great things for the future of the City of Heroes/Villains games. Excluding any part of their community would be highly out of character for them.

Again, we are deeply regretful for any issues we may have unintentionally caused the community and devs, and hope that both Adrian and Stephen's comments above help to clear the air of any ill-will still lingering regarding the context of the quote.

Posted: Mar 31st 2008 9:51PM starka1 said

No apology necessary Massively.

Due to the comment, "the most shocking revelation was learning just how hard the City Of Heroes and City of Villains team was hit by the post-CoV reallocation of resources", I think NCSoft deserves a little beating in the PR department. I already heard about that news before on your site so any damage from your article was already done.

And people have been complaining about the attention to CoV content waaaay before any comments made here.

Ever since that particular comment though, I've been looking for another game. DDO beat CoX on releases with less subscribers so to find out we were getting Diet CoX since the release of CoV resulted in my not renewing. No wonder they were not gaining subscribers...because they weren't trying(unlike some games like EVE online). They saw how hard-core their fan-base was and decided to milk them for all they are worth. Which obviously, the fan support is still not enough as they need you to buy Wedding Packs and other microtransactions. If the 'good' content is to be purchased beyond your normal monthly subscription, why was the expansion pack was cancelled?

If someone were to truly look at CoX outside their fanboi goggles, it is merely rehashed content. The biggest addition, Inventions already existed in-game in another form such as Enhancements and Temp powers. C'mon, a display to read power numbers? Borrrinng. Where are skills, where are archvillains, why aren't they doing more with physics, no vehicles, new gameplay mechanics, NEW INDOOR MAPS, etc? No, we get power proliferation because it already exists in-game and it's easier to just slap it on a different object so people can oooh and ahhh about 'new' content. I've played the powersets, so big deal if I can play it on another AT.

Finding out NCSoft cried because their villain side failed and decided to screw the loyal subscribers by thinning out content for the next two years does not inspire me to play any longer. It took two years to re-coup those costs or are they 're-investing' now because they have competition on the horizon and can't be the only lemonade stand on the block?

I'm content to let the others continue to pay for updates until NCSoft adds some real content, if ever. In the meantime, I foresee a reallocation of my funds away from CoX.