Posted: Mar 28th 2008 6:14PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry, but these videos shun me away from the game even more. I just can't get into the graphics of it. It looks like the original EQ with a different spin (PVP).

Posted: Mar 28th 2008 8:12PM Arashikou said

At first after reading your comment, I thought you were exaggerating, but you know - when I was watching the Altdorf video, I really did get that nostalgic, EQ feeling! Not on the other videos, but the Altdorf one very much gave me an EQ vibe. After watching it a second time, I think this comes from two things:

1) Judging by the other videos, they seem to have turned off the dynamic lighting in Altdorf. Or rather, everything is rendered at the same, even level of brightness, similar to the original graphics engine of EQ, which couldn't do dynamic lighting. I'm not sure if this means that Altdorf's lighting isn't implemented yet or if it was for the purposes of the demo in some way.

2) They spend most of the demo in a first-person perspective to give a clearer view of the scenery, and I played EQ back in the days when it was a primarily first-person game. I've never played an MMO in first-person ever since, and I guess my brain just made the connection between "first-person MMO" and "EQ."

So yeah - I totally get the EQ feeling from the Altdorf video. But I doubt it's reflective of the overall graphical direction of the game itself.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 1:51AM The Last Metroid said

That's good. Don't get into a game because of the graphics. Get into a game because of how it's actually fun to play.

Posted: Mar 28th 2008 11:16PM (Unverified) said

I was pissed when they pushed the game back, but yeah...after seeing these videos I am just going to back away slowly from comments I made to the effect of, "I don't care if it's not done, i just want it." The cities make the original Neverwinter Nights graphics look revolutionary. Mythic should bust out the "Do Not Disturb" sign and take as much time as they need to get away from the origianl Half Life graphics they have going on right now for those towns. Every other video looked damn good so those places probably haven't seen any real time sunk into them.

I will be there with money in hand when it releases...and I am so glad that it's not now. Those looked awful.

Posted: Mar 29th 2008 7:13AM Ghen said

those videos were ultimate boring, should have had paul narrate =)

Posted: Apr 2nd 2008 4:15PM (Unverified) said

The haven't added video post-processing (reflective surfaces/bloom/dynamic lighting as they are concentrating on the game mechanics and content first.

If you have seen the E3/CES videos they look a TON better, I'm still quite pysched about this game.