Posted: Mar 24th 2008 9:06AM (Unverified) said

Micro-t's FTW. It's a win/win for the players and developers. As a player, i can pay as much or as little as i want to enjoy the game. As a developer, there's no "level cap" on the amount of money a player can give me.

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 9:05AM (Unverified) said

I prefer a monthly subscription. While it's nice to be able to try a game that is free, the microtransaction model just feels wrong. If I have this right, the players who are willing to spend money have the best gear?

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 1:43PM (Unverified) said

I prefer the monthly subscription model. The microtesnsaction model is for people who have money to throw away. With subscriptions, I can have access to free gear in exchange for time. I can get anything I want for just 15 dollars.

In the microtransaction model the richest man IRL gets the best stuff. I say leave that model out of my game - I don't want to play a game that has real world stresses or an impact on my pocket. To be honest, the subscription model is the real "free" model.

Sanari, Resto Druid of Khaz Modan [WoW]

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 11:39AM (Unverified) said

I absolutely will not play a game with micro-transactions, nor allow my kids to do so (either on their nickel or mine). Give me a set cost, let me decide if I'm getting that amount of fun per month. I can't stomach the idea of the little voice saying "But you'd have mooooore fun if you just spend another fifty cents..."

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 12:25PM (Unverified) said

It depends on the game. I'll accept the RMT model in card games, like MTG, but I prefer monthly subs in any MMORPG like WoW.

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 12:43PM (Unverified) said

Subscriptions only.

I refuse to play any game that uses micro transactions.

Posted: Mar 24th 2008 1:35PM (Unverified) said

Free to play models that use micro-transactions have a lot of momentum right now and probably will be the major trend for a while.

The monthly fee model will continue to have a place for worlds that focus on the pre-teen demographic that do not have direct access to a payment method.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge