Posted: Mar 8th 2008 1:54PM (Unverified) said

Wrath of the Lich King was announced too early for it to be released in Q2. There's no way they're already done with it unless they're really desperate and cut a ton of content for patches and release it pre-maturely.

Even then it'd be a bad idea. What are people going to play? A new, full-fledged, game with high anticipation or a less anticipated expansion pack with less content at release than expected?

Posted: Mar 8th 2008 6:45PM (Unverified) said

They could delay it and use a slight of hand to still be correct. I believe Mark only mentioned Q2. He did not state whether that was calendar or fiscal year (roughly one quarter later).

Posted: Mar 8th 2008 7:01PM (Unverified) said

I am all for Mythic taking their time. That being said, I could really care less if it's done or not. I am tired of playing L2, there is no way in Hell I am going back to WoW, so I'm play it(Warhammer) as long as it's even mildly playable.

To be honest, I have played an MMO that was no where near finished when it was released and not only was I fine with that, but I ended up loving the situation. There.com told people up front that they were doing an extended open beta and charging for it. What they did unbelievably *RIGHT* was to be shockingly honest and open with their customers even when things blew up. They communicated early, often, and candidly. By the time their community folks were done talking no one cared that the servers were down every Tuesday and some hours every weekday because we all kinda hopped onboard and figured we were working together as part of the team to get things rights. It was awesome to be *feel* like I was part of that process.

Flash forward several years and most gaming companies practice obfuscation that would make the CIA proud. It pisses people off. When you own up to mistakes and tell people in advance that certain features or even the whole damn game will be unplayable then they can go do something else instead of getting needlessly annoyed. For some inexplicable reason it seems like many companies would rather stay silent and alienate their player base as if that's some sort of brilliant strategy.

If Mythic wanted to charge me $60 and $15 a month to be in beta I would give them my Visa number this second...as long as they were upfront about it. If I wait X number of months from now and still release it unfinished *WITHOUT* say anything then I'm going to be pissed.

It's all about the presentation folks. Set the bar low and folks will be overjoyed when things occasionally work right. Deny, lie, spin, or keep silent while all Hell breaks loose and your customers will absolutely eviscerate you.

Posted: Mar 17th 2008 1:00PM (Unverified) said

I couldn't of said it better myself. Right on!

Posted: Mar 15th 2008 10:06PM (Unverified) said

Mark has said that it is Q2 Calender year.

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays