Posted: Mar 5th 2008 5:43AM (Unverified) said

Some of the stuff you missed were that one of them said those who present a threat to real world children interest them and as such they already have police in SL and that we dont know if the person next to us is an undercover cop.

The reason so many Child Avatars were there was because they generally are concerned about how these news people portrait their community.

I myself came away a little confused. They presented themselves as an investigating force who implied they are in SL looking for pre Crime indeviduals who they feel might go to real world and offend.

I thought it was going to debate wether real world rules should be enforced in SL. The only rule they discussed is already being enforced by Linden Lab, or so i thought.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 5:49AM (Unverified) said

Yes. I found it odd that only one speaker touched on what was supposed to be the central topic, and then only for half a sentence.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 8:02AM (Unverified) said

It was journalistic sensationalism, nothing more. It was aparrent from the presence of the w-hat cronies that this even was never going to succeed.

I'm sure they're going to publish another damning report classing all of us SL kids as paedophiles.

I just hope that farrell makes another character and asks me for sex. He'll get reported and banned before he can scream "drama".

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 8:53AM (Unverified) said

Whilst the event was, in every sense, shambolic and disappointing, what you omit to mention is the behaviour of many of those attending.
It was apparent that there was an organised presence representing the child avatar community, which is absolutely their right of course, but the strategy seemed to be to ignore whatever was said and act like a buffoon. I could understand if we were actually dealing with real kids; you couldn't really expect them to sit at peace, not invade the stage, and not take the opportunity to say naughty words on the telly, but it really took the cake to watch a group of people mouthing off about not being treated like adults while they contrived to undermine a serious discussion in a completely juvenile fashion.
It was stated several times by the panel, the CEOP rep in particular, that there was a distinction between ageplaying for fun and to work through bad childhood experiences, and those simulating the sexual abuse of children. The baying masses were obviously disappointed or chose to ignore these comments because it didn't suit their agenda.
An opportunity was lost for those ageplaying for genuine therapeutic and fun reasons to use their considerable experience and expertise to state their case. Unfortunately, the opportunity was also lost for any meaningful discussion because of a poorly selected panel, technical issues and a mob determined to disrupt and derail.
It was excruciating to witness. One can only hope that other forums will be available for sensible, constructive and informed debate in order to progress this, and other, important issues for virtual communities.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 8:54AM (Unverified) said

It seems the difference between a formal debate in the physical world and one in the virtual world is that people attend the former to listen, and the latter to be heard.

As I was covering it live, I didn't have as much attention to spare on the audience chatter through much of it as I would have otherwise. Just trying to follow the shaky audio was very difficult.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 1:23PM (Unverified) said

I agree with you that the audience did more shouting than listening, and I must admit I was a little embarresed to be there. But the group there was not and organized mob, I and others were genuinly supeised at how many child avs had turned up. This event and what occurred from the debate and the audiences response is something that's being debated at length within the child av community this week.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 10:08AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

Well, as far as invading the stage... the seats had a wicked eject on them; when you stood up you were catapulted onto the stage.

Bit of a weak event though, the panelist who was concerned about the mistreatment and degradation of women (ie: Gor) didn't really get a word in edgewise, Farell kept it right down the sexual ageplay path he has been pushing with Lalinda's bunch of paedophillic rouges.

It will be interesting to see how they edit this discussion.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 10:11AM (Unverified) said

Sounds to me like the whole thing was a bit of a fiasco -- and as to the number of child avatars there, well, of course. This sort of tabloid journalism affect them the most. We've had to deal with the fallout of these sort of reports before, and having to go through this yet again from these people undoubtedly frustrates.

Posted: Mar 5th 2008 1:05PM (Unverified) said

I wish I could have been there, however it was 4:00 AM in my locale during the work week. I'm very happy to see the amount of child avatars that were present for this; from what I read above it didn't turn out as advertised, but I think a message was in fact delivered (not by them) nonetheless.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM