Posted: Mar 3rd 2008 11:08PM (Unverified) said

Personally, I find all this speculation to be very silly. The game isn't even NEAR beta yet, and you still have people all over speculating whether it will be the Next Big Thing. Do you recall other big-name titles with this sort of hype? Vanguard, Fury, Tabula Rasa, Hellgate: London, just to name a few. If they didn't bomb outright (fury), they had serious problems to begin with that are still getting fixed (the rest).

So my question is, what makes Champions different? Until actual gameplay info gets out there we have nothing to go on beyond the dev's pretty words and a handful of screenshots and footage. I'll be waiting for the beta before passing judgement, thanks.

Posted: Mar 4th 2008 11:15AM (Unverified) said

I agree.

Posted: Mar 4th 2008 2:27AM (Unverified) said

The difference is none of those games are extensions of an already proven foundation by companies with previous major success in the MMO space. And none of those games had a pre-existing, large, and rabid fan-base that was chomping at the bit for what the respective games were offering.

I doubt it will approach the success of WoW, and it may not be the "Next Big Thing" as regards to MMOs, but if Cryptic can deliver on what they are promising it will definitely be the "Next Big Thing" in superhero gaming. That may not sound like much to anyone who has no interest in superheroes, but it's damn exciting for a lot of people -- myself included.

Posted: Mar 4th 2008 12:48PM (Unverified) said

I think what they mean robo, is Champion's effect on the CoX players, not if it's going to be a WoW killer.

My guess is that most of the CoX players will switch to Champions, even if it is just CoX part 2. CoX is a fun game, but it's limited. Once you've gotten a couple of characters to 50, you've seen it all.

Posted: Mar 7th 2008 9:54AM (Unverified) said

Of course, it could work the other way.....
If Champions sucks, people may try CoH as an alternative....or CoH2 if there is one coming.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014