Posted: Mar 2nd 2008 9:00AM (Unverified) said

I don't think this even classifies as an MMO, but Neopets was a great starter to know how to socialize over the internet and understand the basics of economies, how to fend for myself, how to get certain stuff, how to be ______ (insert name here). But, after I moved on from Neopets I went to the game called Maplestory, though the community wasn't that great, a little meaner, it was a kid-friendly game that I played.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2008 11:29AM (Unverified) said

Virtual Magic Kingdom is well regulated, it's by Disney. However, if I was a parent I'd have parental controls or monitor kids. I'd never leave a child online in any game too long. Parents need to be involved too, there are plenty of parenting websites that can help. Of course there will be Hello Kitty Online soon.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2008 9:39AM (Unverified) said

Toontown definitely. My 4 year old started out with toontown. No open chat, just set phrases, simple interface, simple quests. Now she's 8 and she's just graduating to WoW (not solo, duo'd with Daddy) she already familiar with grouping, raiding, quests, and all that from toontown.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2008 10:17AM (Unverified) said

It's not out yet, but Cartoon Network's FusionFall (fair disclosure -- I'm a member of that team) will be a choice as a "starter" MMO for kids.

Make your own judgements, of course, but I wanted to throw it out there in the discussion.

Rich "Tisirin" Weil
Commmunity Director
Cartoon Network New Media

Posted: Mar 2nd 2008 1:58PM (Unverified) said

Tisirin, looks promising. Got my son excited because I didn't see the part that said "beta"... oh well, "Signed" him up, hopefully he'll be able to get in soon.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2008 3:35PM (Unverified) said

Aside from the ones mentioned, I would recommend City of Heroes / City of Villains.

My kids have played World of Warcraft, Lord of the Rings Online, and dabbled in a few others that I've played. I recently resubscribed to CoH/CoV and they've been having a blast. Even my 10yr old daughter has been spending more time playing - she's tried the others but after 30 minutes she'd get bored and wouldn't play.

CoH/CoV is more accessible than other online games in that there isn't much you need to know to get started. Really there isn't. Find villian and pew-pew. "Loot" is automatically picked up. As for strategy, the first 20 levels just zerg the mobs, lol. All they really need to know is that when the other teammates rush in, you rush in too and pew-pew.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM