Posted: Feb 23rd 2008 12:09PM (Unverified) said

I've been playing City of Heroes for nearly three years now. If Champions Online can actually deliver on the things I've read about it, and can give me things to do besides grind mobs on one of seven or eight endlessly repeating map tilesets, I'm sold.

Sold, that is, as long as Champions can offer the same sort of pick-up-and-put-down, short session gameplay that attracted me to CoH in the first place. I just don't have the time for WoW-style marathon sessions anymore.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2008 3:30PM (Unverified) said

I am a long time CoX player and to be honest having never played Champions due to the fact I was probably trying to learn to tie my shoes at the time it was out, I can't really say if it will make me jump ship. I love CoX namely because of the community as well as the game play. I think if NCSoft could finally get to some good endgame content, new maps as well as AT's and origins that comes in the forms of new issues or a sequel it could be trouble for Cryptic as the CoX community is quite loyal.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2008 3:34PM (Unverified) said

Actually, there's a fairly large thread over on the Champions Online forums full of original members of the CoH community who had already left the game after the first year or two.

I don't see why any CoXers should feel much loyalty to the game when its creator is making a new one that could very well be superior in nearly every facet.

It all comes down to how well Cryptic delivers on their promises.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2008 9:12PM Ghen said

I don't think Champions will pull solely from CoX. Superhero MMOs can be labeled as a mix between Fantasy (your magic powers) and sci-fi (the world around you) so I think SWG and WoW players will both find something to love in a new superhero MMO.

I don't think CoX has to be worried of anything really, look at how Everquest is still doing with all the other fantasy MMOs on the market. Time to expand!

Posted: Feb 25th 2008 2:50AM starka1 said

I just wish NCSoft would get off their collective asses and provide the players with their roadmap. We are coming up on four months and no news about what will be in Issue 12. While the last few issues have been better, I can't really say that anything CoX has implemented has got me as excited as I am to see Champions Online. NCSoft keeps making promises on "new and exciting" content but has yet to really deliver anything different. They can't even make new maps for their instances for pete's sake.

Here's to competition that otherwise would have let NCSoft continue to underdeliver on their promises.

Posted: Feb 25th 2008 5:15PM (Unverified) said

Amen to that! Normally, NCSoft is good at throwing CoX players a bone every now and again, but within the last year we've caught up to our veteran rewards (nobody knows what the next ones are) and there's been no utterance of new content.

Yes, suspense is fun. But seriously, give us a reason to stick around!

Posted: Feb 25th 2008 9:49AM (Unverified) said

CoX was my first mmo, and oh how I loved it. Until, as Brigand said, they couldn't provide anything more than "grind mobs on one of seven or eight endlessly repeating map tilesets". I hated to leave the game but the lack of variety quickly quelled my fun. My hope is that Champions Online will provide those things that CoX was lacking so I can get back to some super-hero badassery.

Posted: Feb 28th 2008 9:03AM (Unverified) said

CoH is still awesome (I've been playing since launch), but the news about Champions Online must be scaring the crap out of NCSoft - they're gonna need to add some pretty cool stuff to CoH over the next year or their entire playerbase might quit for CO when it's released. I feel like I have 2 developers vying for my attention - Cryptic and NCSoft both, so it's happy days for me!

Posted: Mar 27th 2008 1:08PM (Unverified) said

Just so everyone understands, COH and Champions Online both come from the EXACT SAME developer. Everyone's talking about "competition" and "knowing what fans want" like it's an entirely different company. NC Soft is is the publisher for COH, but that's it. They put up the original money for development, distribution, marketing etc. Cryptic Studios developed both games. I just wanted to clear that up.