Posted: Feb 18th 2008 5:48PM (Unverified) said

Consoles are a level playing field, PC's are not. As a PC gamer, I don't want to see this 'wall' broken down. I like my wall.

Posted: Feb 18th 2008 5:57PM (Unverified) said

Are you talking about PCs vs. Consoles or PCs vs other PCs?

If it's Console vs. PC:
Are you concerned about PCs outperforming or under-performing vs. consoles?

It it's PC vs. PC:
Are you saying you like the advantage of running the latest and greatest gaming rig that offers you better performance than a competitor?

I guess from your standpoint, you're saying that the hardware itself, SHOULD be a factor in success within a game?

If that's your standpoint, I can understand it, but would not agree with it.

Do others of you out there feel the same way as itobdel?

Posted: Feb 19th 2008 12:13PM (Unverified) said

Well a lot of console FPS games have an 'auto-aim', the PC versions don't because a mouse/keyboard combo tends to be more precise.

I'm also sick of the very poor console to PC ports that are done. I don't know if anyone has played Resident Evil 4 on the PC, but you needed a hack just to be able to use a mouse. Even then the camera control was very awkward.

Mass Effect is due to come out on the PC in May and I am looking forward to it.

I was mainly referring to the control system rather than any graphical performance. In order to make the playing field more even, what tends to happen is that the PC owners have to make do with a less than ideal control scheme. Shadowrun is a case in point.

Posted: Feb 19th 2008 12:25PM (Unverified) said

That's an excellent point. In terms of hardware control schemes, I think developers really have to focus on whatever the primary, accepted controller is for a given system. For PCs, you've obviously got to stick with a keyboard mouse combo as the primary input device and modify the software so that it works intuitively with the hardware. For consoles, you've got to have a control scheme that works well with a control pad.

Like you said, I think a lot of development teams go for the quick fix. For console to PC ports, there often seems to be an attitude of "Let's slap the code into a PC format and shove it out the door." There rarely seems to be any optimization or accounting the primary control device (or the hardware the software is going to be running on).

I think the key is that, if you are designing for multiple platforms, the software must be amenable to multiple-control schemes. Design for the least common denominator, but then OPTIMIZE for each individual platform. It can't be impossible for controls to "feel" natural on both PC and consoles; I think it just takes work that a lot of developers / publishers don't have the time, money, or desire to implement.