Posted: Feb 17th 2008 9:44AM (Unverified) said

Ultima Online is what first got me interested, though I played The Realm first because it was out first. UO was my first MMO love for years.

Then EverQuest came out at the perfect time to sweep me off my feet once again, and I fell nearly as deeply for that wonderful game as I did for UO.

No MMO has held the magic of UO or EQ for me (both with their own unique magic, but a lot of the same feelings) since.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 9:58AM (Unverified) said

ultima online

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 10:22AM (Unverified) said

Does NannyMUD count?

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 10:57AM GRT said

MegaWars III. I used to max out my CompuServe account playing that game ($300/month). Other people around me had cocaine addictions, for me it was MegaWars III, and we spent about the same amount! LOL

Then there was NeverWinter Nights.

But Ultima Online was my first "modern" MMO love. And nothing since has been quite that special.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 11:11AM Robiness said

Ultima Online. I still have the emotional scars from the griefing. I also still have the desire to dye clothes in a wide variety of colors.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 11:15AM (Unverified) said

Anarchy Online as soon as it became free to play.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 11:36AM (Unverified) said

Although I played UO quite a while ago, the game that really hooked me to the genre was World of Warcraft.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 12:07PM (Unverified) said

EQ and UO, in that order, were my first couple MMOs. I love WoW and I think I have more fun with it than with the other MMOs, but it does seem I enjoy it more for the mechanics and challenge of raiding than out of any actual sense of wonderment or magic.

Posted: Feb 19th 2008 12:05PM (Unverified) said

It was Diablo II for me. Yeah, I know, technically not an MMO, but I don't care. Started playing that, and playing on BattleNET. If it wasn't for how good the game was, I may never have touched World of Warcraft

I was one of the "I'll never play a subscription game" people. No way was I going to buy a game, then have to pay every month to play it. But then I tried it, 14-day trial. And like any other addictive drug, the first free hit was enough. Been playing for almost 2 1/2 years now.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 12:52PM (Unverified) said

Dark Age of Camelot. I'm not sure any MMO experience will ever top that. No game since has given me the chills like venturing into Darksness Falls, waiting for the Mids and Hibs to show up at any moment. Personally, I wish Mythic were working on DAoC II more than WAR. I like the Celtic/Norse themes much more.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 1:03PM (Unverified) said

You really need a poll module for this...

but to answer the question: WoW.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 1:17PM Rollins said

Ultima Online or Redmoon Online. I forget which I played first, in all honesty. Nothing's been able to recapture the fun of UO since, although for me, Shadowbane came close.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 2:04PM Deck said

Asheron's Call 2 is what I started with though I didn't play it very long.

Star Wars Galaxies was the sucking point for me. I totally just got absorbed by it and played it from launch all the way till WoW. Which was perfect timing because shortly after WoW came out, is when they started importing the "NGE" and "Combat Upgrades" and so forth that totally ruined the game. The original SWG was great, I love it and it really hooked me. It had flaws of course, but being such a SW fan, I was able to overlook such things and enjoy the excellence of SWG in its original form.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 2:10PM Durinthal said

My first graphical MMOG was Asheron's Call, but I had been playing MUDs for years before then.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 3:20PM Subzzo said

what started me was Planetside

then out of all things Star Wars Galaxies

then i wasted my time with EVE

and last year a friend of mine pulled me into WoW.

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 3:44PM (Unverified) said

was neocron for me.....started off playin nc1 retail and been a devoted neocrack addict ever since :D ive tried other games, but they just dont give me the rush that i get from pvp in nc. sure it has its bugs like every other game, and sure its not being updated very often(since they r working on their new game). but i still enjoy levelin chars and the pvp is second to none

Posted: Feb 17th 2008 6:25PM (Unverified) said

Ultima Online for sure. The first year or so of that game was some of the most fun I've ever had gaming. Then EQ came and it was much different from UO, so that was the second round of good times until it jumped the shark. Nothing else has been quite the same.

Posted: Feb 18th 2008 1:42AM Sensical said

If Final Fantasy XI was my first love, then EVE Online was 'the one that got away,' and the one my thoughts always wander back to.

Posted: Feb 18th 2008 3:51AM (Unverified) said

Dark Age of Camelot was the one that really got me into MMOs, I really wish the popularity of it would rise again so I can enjoy playing it once more.

Posted: Feb 18th 2008 6:54AM (Unverified) said

I just tried Second Life ;) That was the only one really... I don't even like games!