Posted: Feb 14th 2008 8:07AM (Unverified) said

Which graph shows LoTRO a clear leader? The one linked to shows LoTRO at 200,000 subscriptions, behind DOFUS (?) and Final Fantasy at 500,000. It also shows a nice steep slope, not levelling off.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 8:29AM GRT said

"Lord of the Rings Online is a clear leader in the lower section, but even they aren't showing steady growth-- more like a leveling off already."

First of all, he provides no data for LOTRO since July 07. As of that last data, LOTRO was showing, as the prior poster pointed out, a nice steep slope.

200,000 active * $15/month = $3 million US/month revenue.

Yes, I'm sure small developer Turbine is getting ready to file for Chapter 11....NOT.

These "the sky is falling" posts because no game is as big as WOW are really getting tiresome. Yes, WOW is a behemoth and Blizzard is wiping their collective arses with $100 bills (and good for them!), but that doesn't mean these other games aren't generating a healthy revenue for their companies. Nor does it mean these other games are failures.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 8:33AM (Unverified) said

EVE is another worth mentioning. Not the biggest but to still be showing steady growth four years in isn't bad going.

I wonder how much of an issue machine spec has on these. My feelings were that WoW was never a machine hog. Lord of the Rings for instance needs a bit more power to make it look as nice as it can (and in my opinion it really does look fantastic) and Age of Conan looks like it could be visually another leap forward but with that comes ever higher machine requirements. And of course that limits your market from day one.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 10:10AM (Unverified) said

Hey guys,

Thanks for the link to my charts. I'd love to answer your questions, but due to the way Massively's management has treated me in the past, I can't trust them not to edit my comments again. If you would like to discuss the charts, please feel free to come comment on my own site.

Thanks!

Bruce

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 12:41PM (Unverified) said

that website screams professionalism.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 1:31PM appsbyaaron said

I posted about this on my blog yesterday. I win.

Seriously, I think WoW can't be stopped and it won't be stopped within the next 10 years...at least. I tried it for a while and I just don't get it. I think I'm one of the few MMOers that doesn't like it at all.

It would be nice to find out some numbers on other MMO's that are free-to-pay.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 2:32PM Rich said

WoW won't be stopped world wide, but I think we'll see the tide turning in the US and Europe in the next few years. Asia will continue to dominate WoW subscriptions for years.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 6:05PM (Unverified) said

How come the BIGGEST MMO in the world, MAPLESTORY, gets no play in this?

They have the clear lead in this then WOW comes in as very FAAAAAAAAR second. Maplestory doesnt ever EVER get any props, its all WOW this and WOW that.

The Stream Team: Where the WildStar things are