Posted: Feb 14th 2008 4:18PM (Unverified) said

It's been a while since I tried the game out but there should be a way to get your characters up and doing some stuff on their own, specifically auto-attacking monsters and healing party members when they're hurt.

Literally a big portion of the game from what I saw was taking your party, including a healer type, into one of the infinite and fast re-spawning rooms. Setting them up to auto-attack and auto-heal and you guessed it... getting up and away from the keyboard.

Come back a few hours later and you might have gained 10% towards the next level.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 4:42PM (Unverified) said

Since you asked... There is a much, much easier way to fight than trying to click every monster one at a time. It's all on the orders bar on the lower left, the same place where you switch between single and group movement. There are also keybinds that you can use.

Hold order (Ctrl-H) means your family will stay where they are and attack anything that comes close, chasing after them if need be. Defend order (Ctrl-E or spacebar) is the same, but your people won't chase after the enemies, which is useful if you don't want your warrior running and aggroing more enemies than needed.

Assault order (Ctrl-click on the world) has your family move to a new area, attacking anything on the way. Harvest mode (Shift-click or Ctrl-spacebar) picks up everything along to the way to where you click that you can gather.

There is also an option to automatically go into Hold mode when you stop moving, so you don't have to keep doing it. Most of these things you can find out by talking to information NPCs in the starting areas, and when you do the optional practice combat near the beginning.

It's actually absurdly easy at low levels at least to fight. In fact AFK leveling is a bit of a problem. At one point I was working on one computer while levelling my characters by just letting them fight by themselves. Every couple of minutes I would gather up whatever the monsters dropped and move to a new area if needed, but there always seem to be a bunch of people who's names are just random characters wherever you go, automatically killing and looting everything in the area... no bet on who these characters are working for...

SOTNW is a beautiful game, and very different than your average MMO out there these days. Enough so that a lot of people either have 'love it' or 'hate it' reactions based on those same points.

Posted: Feb 14th 2008 7:50PM Ghen said

... and thats why the game's a failure. Any game that not only allows afk leveling but promotes it with inane kill quests deserves the people that play it. If I can play the game while afk then its not a game I want to play.

Posted: Feb 15th 2008 4:07PM (Unverified) said

While most of the review is pretty correct, and by that I mean the grinding and the quests generally get boring from time to time, you can simply afk it away.

When it comes to customizing the characters, I absolutely thanked the heavens that Character customization isn't emphasized too big in this game because seriously.. We all know that character customization takes away from the game play, like how generally most MMORPG's out there are. Although the game play is pretty simple, it stands out more than the rest of the lot.

Posted: Feb 16th 2008 12:57PM (Unverified) said

OK guys...sorry, I couldn't sit by and watch this one go!

Character customization and the 'lock auto-defend' modes have recently been removed from Sword of the New World. However, as someone has explained above, it is still easy to fight. I have to say I have been playing for a while and have NEVER clicked on a MOB to attack it, unless it is a 'boss'.

Also - costumes can be bought or found; one of the reasons for removing the high level of customization that previously existed in this game was so that armor can change your level - but if you only got to level 13, you won't have noticed this yet. Armor changes start at level 16.

The sound track does change depending on where you are...try a few more places; I love most of it but in some of the dungeons I just turn the music off and have my own music playing - problem solved!!

I would like to add to this review a bit - I had never played an MMO before sword of the new world, and I am now completely addicted to it. I found it really easy to follow; you are told from start to finish how to access each window (for example, the inventory) through a really easy guide, and at one of the first places you go you can talk to a combat trainer who will run through each an every command to get you ready to face the world - without have to click each mob!!

I have rarely found anything I was confused about in-game, but any time there was something I have managed to find an answer in the forum, or asked someone else in-game. Two things I would recommend before setting up in the world - read the forum and check which world you are about to enter - 3 of the worlds are 'Barons' (basically after a certain level you can attack other families in-game and they can attack you without having to go to a special area), and one is non-baron.

happy gaming!