Posted: Feb 11th 2008 11:09AM (Unverified) said

For me, EQ jumped the shark with PoP. Things were going along decent until we needed to get flagged for each tier, and guilds refused to back-flag.

That's when EQ stopped pretending they weren't a raid game.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 11:29AM Ravious said

I think it is hard for an MMO to jump the shark UNLESS it changes the fundamental way the game is played.
So IMHO WoW could not have jumped the shark with BC because the way the core was played was still more or less the same, whereas with SWG the whole game changed.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 1:02PM Ayenn said

A MMORPG would jump the shark when level caps are raised to absurdity at the sacrifice of story content. In other words, when the world content is transformed from “literature” to a bunch of bigger “mobile bags of experience” with only a loosely strung together excuse for their existence in the world.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 3:26PM (Unverified) said

There is a clear difference between when SWG jumped the shark and other MMOs such as EQ due to a dramatic exodus of players, and complete shift in the game itself. I agree that EQ really jumped the shark with PoP, which is when even I as a hardcore raider threw in the towel. It like the game had lost its way, and was progressing too quickly for my taste. That and I had been playing the game since a little after release, and maybe I just had had enough. Really we can't tell much about WoW right now, as I think we are really in the midst of it, and we can only really make clear distinctions awhile after the fact. DAoC jumped the shark at some point as well, but I didn't stick around long enough or pay enough attention to watch it happen.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 4:25PM (Unverified) said

I loved EQ1, but it jumped the shark with Shadows of Luclin. Once that hit, all downhill, but up until then it was good stuff.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014