Posted: Feb 10th 2008 9:35PM (Unverified) said

That first glimpse of Ironforge was my first 'Whoa' moment.

My second was in LotRO in the Old Forest. It was my first trip into it and I stumbled upon Tom Bombadil (SP). I thought, "Man, they sure did this right! He's just as annoying in this game as he was in the book!"

Posted: Feb 10th 2008 11:48PM (Unverified) said

I also just recently returned to LOTRO after dumping WOW. I was here for the LOTRO launch but just didnt feel the love. I am very pleased with it now and looking forward t book 12 coming out this week. I agree with what you said about Weathertop... all the landscapes are fantastic... the player animations less so however.

I also got into a small friendly kinship and I am leveling my way up to 50. This game has the features that WOW should have (after 3 years of development) like housing, cosmetic armor, etc... If you havent given LOTRO a try it is well worth your time. The box has also lowered in price as well. My server, Landroval is a very busy place, plenty of people (and friendly) to play with. LOTRO is gem and is getting better!

-Sheldrake

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 5:25AM (Unverified) said

Funnily enough I returned to LOTR this weekend. I previously played during beta testing but decided not to subscribe at the time. However with Tabula Rasa (fun, innovative in places, but too easy to reach top level tier) and Pirates of the Burning Sea (you have to love the sea battles at first, but oh my what a shallow game for a mmo) behind me I was looking for something else to try.

LOTR looks smashing on my new machine (I didn't have a mega hi-spec dx10 comp during beta). They have absolutely nailed the visuals. Agree that the map and quest log are a little lacking however. Encouraging exploration is essential and a fun part of any game like this, but once in a while you do end up scratching your head as to where to go.

So I'm enjoying my return, but wonder how long I will last this time.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 6:08AM (Unverified) said

Mark,

Consider giving Turbine some more time regarding the gold farmer adverts. These goldfarmer public channel spams have started exploding on many popular MMOs in recent months. Patch notes for Book 12 make brief mention of improvements to the reporting tools ingame for dealing with these specific nuisances. In fact, Tabula Rasa has a specific one-shot command ingame that accelerates the support ticketing process to cope with the profusion of such spammage.

and in the meantime, run a ignorelist clear every month or so, I find it does well as a means to give people another chance to behave... if they haven't gotten themselves ganked by GM first.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 8:05AM Ghen said

I agree on the ignore list thing.. I've cleaned mine in numerous games with no ill effects. Either the people grow more mature with the game or they stop playing that character/server ;)

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 7:39AM (Unverified) said

There MUST be something in the water.... I logged in for the first time in 6-8 months last night, too!

And I agree, man I do enjoy this game and it looks like maybe all it needed was time to mature post-launch to really garner my interest. This is exactly the point that I'm glad I paid for that lifetime subscription, it afforded me the ability to be able to put the game down and resume it at any time.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 12:31PM Softserve said

The game has improves significantly with each patch. I liked it at first, now I love it. Like mentioned it does have its issues... the next patch is going to have further gold seller reporting options at least. Economy wise, you really have to rely on your profession, but there's always people who undercut the accepted normal price annoyingly. I imagine these things will continue to even out as time goes on.

I mean, really, let's remember that WoW had its share of issues its first year. There were components in it that barely even worked. LotRO is really just getting started and it's clear the developers (much like Blizzard) are proud of what they're doing and genuinely want people to enjoy it. I think that will only result in great things.

The thing is I can play this game at this point and just not get annoyed by it. You can get through to the end solo if you wish to, but there's also tons of fellowship related quests to do if you wisht too. Quests where I have to kill 50 wargs for 5 warg paws are INCREDIBLY rare (and usually it was just because you should be killing Warg Type A instead of Warg Type B)... I can't even make new characters in WoW for these reasons and more, reasons LotRO seems to have addressed. It does very little to artificially extend the length of the game, which I appreciate (and is so pointless in these titles given how much there is to do to begin with).

For only $20 you can't go wrong with it. And now thanks to a special, I'm only paying $10 a month instead of $15.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 12:37PM Softserve said

Also, I forgot to stress how great it is playing a title where I feel like I am having an effect on the overall story. It's integrated into your little quests and major quests to a point that I've never appreciated in other MMORPGs. On some level it benefits from my familiarity with the license, but even if you've just saw the movies you can pull a lot from this. For example, some of the things in Rivendell are quite exciting... and I'm not even really a big Tolkien fan.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 2:12PM (Unverified) said

It's intriguing to realize just how many people returned to LOTRO very recently, myself included. My story is exactly the same as yours, and this is a whole new game to me, well worth my time and money.

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 7:14PM (Unverified) said

The One Game... I mean, Ring to rule them all, indeed. ;)

WRUP: Limited-time reunion show edition