Posted: Feb 9th 2008 3:46PM (Unverified) said

Great application of a lot of ideas to a unqiue IP. I read through most of the article and something seemed weird to me. Then hit hit me: You just described puzzle pirates.

Posted: Feb 9th 2008 3:48PM (Unverified) said

Really?

I only ever played Puzzle Pirates a little bit when it first hit, so that was a long time ago. I'm sure if something like this were fleshed out there would be discernible differences between PP and STO.

Posted: Feb 9th 2008 4:05PM (Unverified) said

Well of course, I didn't mean to imply that they're the same game.

But look at how Puzzle pirates work from what I remember, as I don't actively play it.

*Teams of people operate a ship. The captain of the ship can determine who's allowed to board.
*Guilds can control ships and fleets of ships
*Each person has a job that's based on player skill and their performance is evaluated by how well they do that job.
*Each job contributes to how well the ship operates
*Ships set sail with higher level goals rather than specifically finding and killing X amount of Y.
*Equipment in PP has affects without a stat. For example swords change the color of blocks you can dump on an opponent during a sword fight.
*I believe as you perform a task more often (and do well at it) you 'rank' up for that task. It's arbitrary distinction that just lets others know you are good at doing a certain type of puzzle. Not 100% sure on this though.

Posted: Feb 9th 2008 4:51PM aboutblank77 said

weird, this all has a lot in common with an idea I had for a game that had nothing to do with star trek or pirates... or did it have everything to do with both?

probably.