Posted: Feb 7th 2008 10:40PM (Unverified) said

I hate to be the one to point this out, Kevin, but the 12 million user mark is a bit inaccurate and consists of a lot of people who have never logged in, never logged in more than once, and never logged in in more than 60 days. Banned, cancelled and alternate accounts are also included in that figure.

I would prefer the use of the 930,000 quoted for users logging in the past month or so. There is no shame in having a small community when it is as close knit as the one I witness everytime I pop into Agni, and I daresay the main reason why that 12 mil figure is being flung around is because few other major MMOs are prepared to cite similar honest hyperbole-free figures even if it hurts their revenues. If you can't compare apples, compare , my last manager used to say.

Posted: Feb 7th 2008 11:15PM (Unverified) said

For the sake of argument, let's use 930,000.

How many MMO's would kill for that kind of subscriber base?

-Grim

Posted: Feb 8th 2008 2:27AM (Unverified) said

number of users aside -- and certainly approx. 1MM is no laughing matter -- SL is still the only user-generated content game around. given that that is going to change (one of the reasons i'm so excited about Metaplace) -- but for now, that's a fascinating element of the world with a huge number of ramifications (political, economical, legal, social, etc.) that bear daily coverage.

we at Massively are in the business of covering virtual worlds and right now Second Life is still the biggest "game" in town. i understand there are some readers who actively hate SL but really, with 20-30 posts per day does it really kill you to scan past those posts?

Posted: Feb 8th 2008 2:04PM Ghen said

First off, I don't play SL and never will.. not my cup of tea. But lets break it down once more for those more ignorant than myself eh?

M - SL is massive. a huge expanding world with anything from boring to unicorns just a flight away.
M - SL is incredibly multiplayer. While I'd give the title MMO to any game with over 64 people in one area, that doesn't even matter since SL eclipses that by an order of magnitude.
O - Its online. It has an economy. You can interact with hundreds of people in a sitting from all over the world without having to login to another server or join a game/match.

bonus:
G? - Well if The Sims is a game, then Second Life is one too. Your goal is to become successful and/or entertain yourself for hours on end. The fact that there are less boundaries to that goal than in The Sims should make it MORE of a game, but people complain now that its too much like real life and/or a real business to be a game? Give me a break.

Posted: Feb 8th 2008 2:07PM Ghen said

to the article... you sound influenced by eating bees ;)

Posted: Feb 11th 2008 12:51PM (Unverified) said

Umm...please ask Mark to never play a shaman, ok?

Like, ever.

Thanks for the belly laughs there, Kevin.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM