Posted: Feb 6th 2008 1:02PM (Unverified) said

Second life is not a "game", it's a social experiance. The others you mention are games, and all have some type of leveling mechanic. Basically it's your reward to some tenacity.

Your posting to me simply indicates you don't partake in the effort = reward system which is the basis of many MMO.

Most any MMO can be what "you" make it. There are role playing servers and people who role play in almost any MMO, it's simply a matter of finding them.

-Ayiania

Posted: Feb 3rd 2008 8:26PM Scopique said

*cough*MetaPunk*cough*

Posted: Feb 3rd 2008 10:42PM GRT said

Isn't this the same blog that ran a post about "user generated raid content" a while ago? It was a video of a bunch of low levels attacking a level 70 as if he was a raid boss. Looked like a lot of fun to me.

There are games that don't have class systems. One of the first "well known" MMOs (Ultima Online) doesn't have classes.

But y'know, if you want to play you have to pay, and that includes updating your hardware once every few years. And that fact is, if you want to experience a wide diversity of computer games, you need to run Windows. That's just life... I use a Mac for all my work, but I have a Windows machine for gaming.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2008 10:43PM (Unverified) said

What you want are skill based MMO's. Ultima Online and Asheron's Call are the two I played. Mainstream MMO's today copy the everquest formula. On AC, in PVP I personally have killed a level 126 on a level 55. It's all about skill. Unfortunately, John Q Public thinks that if your higher level, you should win. As for now, I play DDO because it's unlike other MMO"s in nearly every way. However, I'm a very casual player, so I'm quite unlike most MMO players.

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 2:53AM (Unverified) said

2 words EVE online. Training is time based not lvl based, and a char with 3 mil Skill Points has a chance, albeit a small one to beat a char with 10 mil Skill points. It all depends on what you pilot and how well. Game also has a good mac port from what ive heard

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 7:24AM Ghen said

Warcraft isn't a PvP game plain and simple. Not a very good example. Its extremely structured to same level fighting considering the rewards.

The leveling to 70 is a nice fun solo romp. If you find a partner to do quests with it can also be decently fun, expecially with light role play from the quest descriptions.

I would say the best part about warcraft and the only reason to level characters there if you don't like the endgame is the stories in each zone.

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 1:48PM (Unverified) said

Loved the metapunk comment. Nice springboard to this observation.

Virtworlders and MMOGers are a different breed.

I GM Trek RP inworld, and there is a LARP attitude to it. No die, just people playing properly (I ensure that by teaching RP at SFC SLQ) and respecting rank and roles.

What MMOs do not offer, in my experience (WoW. And EVE...sorta...why not MacBook compatable Ryarkavik?) is RP. It is goal and accumulation of points based. Though I LONG for a true..IC...immersive experience without the chatter of "how do I get stuff?" In SL the answer is easy...buy it.

As long as MMOs are "automated" RP will be difficult. And as I posted earlier...make them mortal. 25 valient immortal good guys will always defeat ALLLLLLLLL the bosses...if they dont sleep. Make the chars require 3, 6, 24 hours of "death" the higher their level.

I know, I know. Heretic.

But sure would make the "battles" more realistic.

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 5:03PM Girricane said

What about Dragon Realms? I know it's text based, but it's a MMORPG that is entirely skill based and definitely fits the bill of games yearned for here.

Posted: Feb 4th 2008 9:48PM (Unverified) said

MetaPunk certainly looks interesting. Unless I'm missing something, it's not yet a game, it's a plan for a game?

Asheron's Call and Ultima Online fail the Mac port test, EVE Online fails the "runs on a G5" test.

Whilst buying a new computer is on my list of things to do, unless Massively suddenly give me a eponymous pay rise it won't be happening in the next week or month. For my main online activity - SL - my G5 is fast enough (it could be faster, but it's acceptable) and it's stable unless the grid is really bad. I'm not so keen on finding a game to play - I have a Second Life - that I'm going to buy a machine just for that I'm afraid.

I will see if I can get in to Dragon Realms though.

Posted: Mar 10th 2008 10:44AM (Unverified) said

From your example, it seems like your complaint is with heroic scale. You comment that two 60th level WoW characters probably can't take a 70th level character, which I agree is true -- but two 65th level characters have a good chance, and two 68th level characters will win almost every time. The power scale of WoW is steep, representing a very heroic game. Guild Wars, for example, has a flatter curve, but still has that curve -- as does GURPS.

The interesting thing with regard to WoW design is this: The game is meant to be played, in the main, at the top level. The designers have made repeated changes to increase the speed and decrease the effort required to reach the top level. The new content is focused on the top level, as are most of the changes to existing content. In effect, they're saying that the character's journey really starts at 70 (for now), with 1-69 the backstory you use to find a place on the way there. This isn't typical of roleplaying games in general, but seems to work for the MMORPG market reasonably well -- of the main downsides, ``not like other RPGs'' seems one of the biggest. Assuming that you can afford the time/money/effort to try, why not give the approach a spin, and see how it feels on its own (rather than comparing it to something else)?

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM