Posted: Jan 29th 2008 8:42PM (Unverified) said

So as a Hunter myself I was excited to read about the perils of switching pets. I enjoy getting those hard to find pets such as the Dragon Hawk on my lvl 10 Night Elf. However I was disappointed to see yet another uneducated hunter. First of all... Growl can be taught to a Scorpid. It is a skill ALL pets can learn, just like cower and every one of the passive skills. The Scorpid also has 10% extra armor insted of just 5% which your bear has. While the bear does have more max HP the fact that he seems to be dieing a lot to even-con mobs is frighting. Perhaps hunter is not your forte.

Posted: Jan 29th 2008 9:56PM (Unverified) said

What part of what I wrote suggested my bear dies regularly? The last time he died I was fighting a monster that was red for me, and it was taking a bit longer than expected. Three more red monsters that someone had killed before I got there respawned and it was messy. Maybe you could get out of it, but it was enough to kill my bear then me in short order.

And scorpids may be supposed to get growl, but I levelled the scorpid and checked and growl wasn't an available training option. Before you ask, yes, I have lots of ranks of growl available to train my pets with. All the material says growl can be taught to anything, but my experience says it's not true.

If you actually follow the posts here you'll have seen, less than 2 weeks ago my "first impressions of WOW" post. You expect me to be expert in all the nuances 2 weeks later? I'm sure you were, but I'm merely mortal.

Posted: Jan 29th 2008 10:01PM smg77 said

Wow...posts like these are what gives hunters a bad name. Every single animal trainable by hunters can learn growl.

Posted: Jan 29th 2008 10:42PM Arashikou said

The confusion probably stems from the fact that growl shows up with no TP cost, similar to unlearnable abilities, doesn't it? The lack of TP cost on growl is INTENTIONAL to remedy just this situation - so that it can be given to newly-tamed pets and keep them viable as they grow used to you. I'm surprised they don't call that out more clearly in the UI. It's also possible the pet wasn't level 10 yet - the lowest level growl can be learned. (I'm not sure where she'd find a scorpid that low-level, but my days of being a new hunter were long ago and limited to Dun Morogh.)

Also - this is a stretch, but I never tried it when I played WoW: If your pet has negative TP (from coming pre-trained with an ability, as her scorpid's sting clearly did) can you still teach it abilities that cost no TP like growl? Or are you locked out of teaching it anything?

Posted: Jan 29th 2008 10:47PM (Unverified) said

It was a mid-40's level Scorpid Dunestalker. It did initially have a -ve training point total. Growl was greyed out. After 1 level this became positive, but training for growl remained greyed out. Maybe it needed more levels to become trainable, but it certainly wasn't an option available for me. The scorpid certainly didn't automatically acquire it and display it on the pet button bar either, nor did the things I attacked display any sign that their aggro was fixing on the scorpid and that growl was hidden.

Despite the comments above, I'm not stupid, and whilst I'll freely admit to being ignorant about many nuances of WoW, I'm not so stupid I can't understand the recent evidence of my own eyes. Nor do I automatically believe everything I read when I strong personal experience to counter it.

Posted: Jan 30th 2008 8:10AM Tanek said

Hmm. I think we need a test of this. I have played a hunter with various pets (including a Scorpid) and have never not been able to teach a pet Growl.

I am not saying the author is wrong in observation, just that if this is a bug or (gods of Azeroth forbid) a nerf, it is something that should be known.

Posted: Jan 30th 2008 10:54AM (Unverified) said

It might also be that you already had 4 things trained. If I remember right, you can only train 4 skills for your pet. So if you had something like dash, claw, bite and poison, then you wouldn't be able to also train growl without having the pet unlearn something else. I tend to stick with cats so not as familiar with which things can be learned with other pets. But I do know that some pets can't learn all the trainable skills. A land pet can't learn dive, for instance.

Posted: Jan 30th 2008 10:57AM (Unverified) said

Here's what petopia has to say about growl:

Growl is the only active skill that is not learned by taming creatures that already know it. The first two ranks of Growl are learned when you complete the final step of the level 10 Hunter quest (so make sure you do the final step!). After that, you can purchase a new rank of Growl from the pet trainer every 10 levels (at levels 20, 30, and so on).

Growl is also the only active skill that does not cost any training points to teach your pet. Because of this, you can always teach a new pet Growl the minute you tame it, even when it's unhappy and very rebellious. Unfortunately, that means that in the Beast Training window, Growl doesn't show a TP cost -- which is usually the sign that your pet can't learn this skill. But all pets can learn Growl! You just have to know that all pets can learn Growl and trust that it's going to work when you press the 'Train' button.

Posted: Jan 30th 2008 8:09PM (Unverified) said

I've played primarily a hunter till till level 70. I think the growl problem she's having is because she's trying to use too high a level growl for the level pet she just got. I don't know if she erased her lower level growls thinking they were not needed anymore. Which is a possibility.

This also could be a bug with that particular scorpid, so a bug report should be filed on it. Also could be another problem with her files where very odd things get tweaked out. I had a bug problem after a major patch where all the trainers were blank. The fix for that was running the WoW Repair. If you run that be forewarned that checking resetting third party custom interfaces or resetting WoW configs will cause you to have to redo all your spell slots, setting up your configs for mods, etc. Also a mod could also be causing this problem.

I hope that helps our your problem Eloise. You are suppose to be able to put growl on all of your pets.

Posted: Apr 12th 2008 2:33PM (Unverified) said

Question for all you on growl. I have a hunter that I trained up to level 27, but I never got growl. It says I need to do the 'level 10 hunter quest' but I didn't do it. Can someone tell me what quest this is, where I go, or is it too late for me?!?!

Thanks