Posted: Jan 20th 2008 10:07AM (Unverified) said

Good luck in your free month!

It's really neat to see what new people to the game are coming up with. I started near the end of closed beta, and the only way I have felt that "omg this is all new" feeling is now, by switching over to LotRO. The game is fun, it is addictive... but it is -not- table top roleplaying.

I would say the only really huge quality that would keep you is the community that you become part of, and I really do not mean the warcraft official forums. If you are into immersive role-play (which I assume you are, quoting second life and table top) then I highly recomend any of the smaller guilds on an RP server, like Moon Guard (My highest recomendation) or Argent Dawn. Don't get caught up in rushing to the cap, enjoy the game, and get some regular people to play with that are not people you know IRL. The reason I say this is because it will give you the chance to see more of the people around you, not just the people you already know and will give you a more complete picture of what the game is like. On the same hand, if WoW isn't for you, don't force it! The game has enough haters as it is. :)

Hunter is a good, solid choice for a first character. It is simply the easiest to level with and packs a good punch in both pve and pvp. If you can do it, try to get to Outland before your month is up (this may not happen, depending on how fast you level). Most of the community will likely be in Outland on whatever server you play on, and it will definatly sweep you up with things to do.

The 25-limit quest log is obnoxious, but I didn't realize that until recently. It used to be 20, and I rejoiced when it went up to 25. Since I have been playing LotRO (with it's 40 max), I have been running into the opposite problem... where to start!

Posted: Jan 20th 2008 11:20PM (Unverified) said

There are a couple of things that caught my eye here, specifically three major points. If you don't mind, I'll address each in turn.

First, try not to use Allakhazam if you can avoid it. It was purchased and is owned by IGE, a notorious game-currency company that makes a profit out of ruining game economies. Instead, I recommend using WoWHead.com, which is run by a different company and has a better interface free of adds. It also contains most of the information that Allakhazam does, without some of the inaccuracies.

Second, as to roleplaying. It is difficult to roleplay in WoW, and part of that stems from the lack of GM support in enforcing the roleplaying rules. Your best bet there is to find a relatively low-population RP server, find a "Hard Roleplaying" guild, and install FlagRSP, which is an addon that makes it easy to identify other roleplayers. It's a lot of work, but it can pay off in the end.

Third has to do with addons. I recommend using addons from the WoWAce library, as they tend to use fewer resources. In particular, I recommend using Cartographer, which can aid you in finding all manner of things, from treasure and resources to quest locations. Another useful addon, in the same vein, would be nQuestLog, which helps track quests, and another addon whose name escapes me, which works with nQuestLog to provide information from the WoWHead database on each of the quests you are currently on.

In the meantime, enjoy your stay in Azeroth as long as it lasts.

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 8:43AM Krystalle Voecks said

Just so you're aware, the company that owns Alla is the same company that owns Thottbot and Wowhead. All three are owned by Affinity Media, and while they have stated that they are no longer tied to IGE, there is nothing beyond their word proving the dissolution of that tie.

Word to the wise. Wowdigger.com is one of several Blizzard-approved database sites, and is 100% free of any affiliation to Affinity Media.

Posted: Jan 20th 2008 11:59PM (Unverified) said

Oddly, I'm in the exact same boat. I recently got rather sick and found myself bedridden. Looking for something to keep me occupied I tried the WoW demo, and eventually after reaching level 20 purchased the game. Sadly the day after I purchased it I got really bad and... well, really that was just over a week ago, I haven't played since. The WiFi in the hospital I'm trapped in won't let me log onto WoW, and I found myself falling to Animal Crossing and Pokemon Diamond to keep me occupied oddly enough, along with some consideration of good ol' fashion pen and paper roleplaying.

So I find myself now, having gone through the hassle of buying the game and now finding myself interested in other things, wondering what to do. While my friends play on a PVP server and I'd love to play with them, I think if I'm going to enjoy the game this late in I need to play on an RP server. I'll be testing it and an assortment of other games.

Sadly the last MMO to really hook me was FFXI which I loved the lore for, the story and world they had said up was pretty intriguing, but no one roleplayed, and there weren't roleplaying servers. So that always disappointed me.

Maybe I'll find some fun in WoW. Hopefully, maybe, who knows. Maybe I'll just end up training Pokemon all day.

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 6:23AM (Unverified) said

Actually, all three big wow sites are owned by the same company(Thottbot, wowhead and alla). I prefer wowhead as its data is the least tainted in general and they tend to have the least intrusive ads.

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 3:52PM (Unverified) said

I'm sorry, I was unaware of the WoWHead purchase. Though admittedly, I've never seen the ads on their site. Must be good ol' AdBlocker at work, eh?

Posted: Jan 23rd 2008 8:43AM (Unverified) said

All three sites are not owned by IGE directly anymore that I am aware of.