Posted: Jan 17th 2008 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Breaking the $15 a month barrier already happened with the Everquest "Legends" was $40 a month if the interwebs are to be believed. So yeah, that's been done. The problem as I see it is this: is this really better than World of Warcraft? Seriously, the game isn't even released yet and EA is speculating that they might be able to pry more money from my cold hands than I was willing to give a game that did everything *more* right than any other MMO had done before?

That's pretty ballsy...and not in a good(read: confident) way.

Since the game hasn't even gone "gold" yet this kind of tells me that EA is contemplating it, not on the merits of the product, but simply because they want to. Ah yes, that's the EA I have come to know. Honestly, if they did charge 19.95(it's a nice, pseudo-round number) I probably wouldn't care. I mean, what's another $5 mean anyway? Nothing. The problem is the idea behind it:

- Change more for producing more
- Charge more because you have produced a superior product and superior service
- Charge more because you have completely redefined the genre and are offering an entertainment experience that makes me look at $20 and think, "Wow, this is a deal even at that price."

DON'T CHARGE MORE inspite of the fact that you are still in beta and no one has any idea when the game will be released or what the finished product will even play like. Retards...

No wonder everyone hates EA.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 2:14PM GRT said

I don't think the time is right for a price hike. I mean, what, really, is the justification? Hardware and bandwidith costs continue to drop. Salaries aren't keeping up with inflation, the consumer is getting more and more jittery about spending... and more and more "free" MMOs are coming out. Granted these aren't all very good, but they seem to be getting better.

We'll see, I guess.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 2:23PM (Unverified) said

If the game is fun, I'd pay more than $14.99, but $20/month is probably my limit.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 2:31PM (Unverified) said

Well, scratching this one off my to-do list if this is true. Unless this game is the end all be all, or it is just that great, it doesnt deserve to be priced this high.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 3:08PM GreenArmadillo said

An extra $5 (in fairness, we don't know if it would $5, or only $2-3, with discounts for multiple month subscriptions) adds up to $60 a year. That's a new game of your choice, with cash to spare on any platform but the XBox 360 and PS3. It may not be much on an hourly basis for someone who is definitely going to keep playing the game until their next bill date, but a higher price tag is something that people who are on the fence about staying are going to consider. Anything that encourages people to quit the game can be dangerous for an MMO.

On top of that, Warhammer would be in an especially precarious position pricing itself above WoW. Like it or not, there are going to be a lot of comparisons between the two games, and having a higher price is not going to help their case if ANY of those comparisons are unfavorable.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 9:10PM Teiraa said

If EA is behind this, maybe it will effect the upcoming Bioware MMO as well....

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 7:18AM (Unverified) said

I would be willing to pay more than $15 a month for a subscription, but only if I have access to 100% of the game content and I don't have to raid 30 hours a week in order to see it.

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 1:15PM (Unverified) said

Tobold did an article about this in regards to Pirates of the Burning Seas and their price point being similar to WoW's. His point was that, though the game was good, it was not worth $15 a month because it was not up to WoW's quality. He went on to argue that more people might be willing to give more MMO's a chance if they were not stuck at the price point (they inevitably get compared to WoW).

I think for a MMO to come out with a higher price point then WoW is going to be in trouble. There is no way a game coming out of Beta can ever be as polished as WoW is currently. In the long ran, it may become better then WoW, but you are putting a barrier there from the beginning that means people will not give it a chance until it is proven. And once it is proven, it will have the trap of experienced players killing the new players in PvP, making it very unfriendly for the new players, which leads to them leaving the game. I just see this as being a negative spiral.

Come in at WoW's price point or even below.

Raldes