Posted: Jan 17th 2008 3:53PM (Unverified) said

Actually, the reason for the relatively small size of the game world in WoW was so that objectives would be easily reached and so the game world wouldn't seem deserted even at peak hours.

Just something I remembered from a post-release interview. Wish I could provide a link, but it was awhile ago.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 3:51PM (Unverified) said

Shadowbane held so much promise and delivered so little, so late. It was crushing as I just loved running around with horns and a tail as minotaur brute. But most of all it was the inability to deal with their lag problems that led to frequent crashes and time-outs.

WoW disappointed me a bit as it go boring once I hit 60. I think they rather ruined the game with the high level parts that need a huge group. The co-ordination for anyone but the hard core is just a bit rough. WoW is great game but it just bores me now.

I agree with Eve Online. Too steep a learning curve and feels more like work than a game. Its not a bloody game its a lifestyle choice.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 11:40PM (Unverified) said

I switched to WoW from City of Heroes about two years ago, and haven't looked back much since...BUT...(I bet you can guess where this is going...and you're right.)...the lack of variety in WoW's character creation is really pathetic...and a few new hairstyles isn't exactly my idea of progress. I had hoped WotLK would bring more customization, not just mullets and mohawks.

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 4:56AM (Unverified) said

SWG was a huge letdown, but I still miss two things:

- Socializing with the opposite faction: I made quite a few friends among the rebels, who'd know I was imperial at heart and would still give me discounts on medic buffs (I'm talking pre-CU, where you had to get buffs for ANYTHING). Taunting rebels in Theed was also great, and somehow it never went farther than "Cowards" or "Chicken" in our yells... which is totally opposite of what I see today in our server's (Dun Modr-EU) official forums: Q, Q, name-calling, and even more Q. Also, the "airport" feeling of the space stations in each capital city was awesome (before the wait time was nerfed). It gave you time to chat, meet new people...

- Player interaction on game level: Jedi getting killed by BHs, entering a Cantina to get mind buffs, travelling to Naboo to get the best guns on the server (and the much needed Composite Armor) , slicin' weapons for a fee (and getting tips if it went over 30%, that was soooo nice :)

I hate you know... It's making me wish SOE hadn't made all those changes...

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 11:58PM (Unverified) said

Pirates of the Burning Sea
The strong point of this game is pretty much only ship battles. They did a horrid job with avatar combat, from the actual fighting, to loot, and map layout / agro... UI... god it just goes on.

The game Pirates of the Carabian 1 for Playstation is exactly this game, but better, their on shore combat was wicked and looked great!, same with there ship battles, and this was done back in.. 2000? I think. So this is nothing new, and its sad to see how far they've come in 5 years compaired to pretty much any other game development time. Expecially when theres so many other games just like it they can relate to. its not like reinventing a style. Cause theres also the game "Pirates" which is the same thing but no avatars, same map, ports etc.. as history. The game deserves to be free to play.

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 1:14AM (Unverified) said

I'm not sure it's really appropriate to be using such a racially charged word like "niggles" in this kind of article :/

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 5:05PM (Unverified) said

Racially motivated? Niggle is from a Norwegian word, if anything. Nothing racial about it.

Posted: Jan 21st 2008 7:46AM (Unverified) said

jackalope - Hopefully you're joking, but just in case you need clarification of the meaning of 'niggles', the following is copied from the Chambers Dictionary website.

niggle verb (niggled, niggling) intrans 1 to complain about small or unimportant details. 2 to bother, especially slightly but continually; to fuss. noun 1 a slight nagging worry. 2 a small complaint or criticism. niggler noun. niggling adj 1 fussy. 2 trivially troublesome or worrying. 3 persistently annoying.
ETYMOLOGY: 19c; 17c, meaning 'to trifle'.