Posted: Jan 16th 2008 5:53PM GRT said

I don't know why game blogs and sites keep linking to that loon and sending more traffic his way. He's never been so successful as he is now, thanks to "outraged" gamers effectively throwing money at him. More links = more traffic = more cash in his pocket.

(And no, I haven't gone to his site.)

If you do go, at least use an Ad-Blocker!!

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 8:13AM Ghen said

YAY BOOBIES!

They link it for me =)

Posted: Jan 16th 2008 5:54PM (Unverified) said

I actually wish our MMO experiences were LESS puritanical.

The whole appeal of an MMO is that it's a social environment. Most popular real-life social environments are not particularly Disneyland-like. In fact, the most common and popular social environments are decidedly adult or at least adult-oriented.

So I believe there should be similar social opportunities in MMO worlds, perhaps adult-only areas with much tighter age verification required for access. Areas with a much larger variety of bawdy emotes, dances, multiplayer interactions, and clothing options available.

Sure, Second Life has all that, but without the content. But I want to have my cake and eat it too, I want the entertainment content AND the adult socialization content. Hopefully someone will fill the niche soon with a few hundred million development dollars.

Posted: Jan 17th 2008 4:03AM (Unverified) said

Here here. Well said ....

The stupidest thing is no matter what rating a game has, parents are still going to buy it for their kid without thinking.

It's going to happen again and again..... watch the muppets when Age of Conan comes out and the parents see their 14 year old boy creating a naked female character.

Grab the Torches! -.-

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 3:51PM (Unverified) said

The "Experience may change during online play" disclaimer does not protect developers one bit. Devs have to disclose to the ESRB all questionable content to obtain their rating. That disclaimer covers the content that the *players* add.

It covers situations like an E-rated kids' MMO with open chat, where the players can use foul language, or arrange their furniture to spell out dirty words or draw naughty pictures. The devs have no real control over the content added by players, hence the ESRB disclaimer.

Rest assured, if devs dropped M-rated content into an already T-rated game, the ESRB would have something to say about it.

Posted: Jan 18th 2008 3:52PM (Unverified) said

Oh absolutely, I guess I meant more the players changing the experience than the developers throwing in whatever they like.

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM