Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 1:09PM (Unverified) said

This was a moronic post by Hardcore Casual. And what's worse, they equate "special" status with PVP freedom. The ability to kill other players or make their virtual lives a living hell does not make you "special".

In the final analysis, THERE IS NO WAY FOR ANYONE TO BE SPECIAL in a massively multiplayer developer-mediated game.

If the players could create content for the game then people could distinguish themselves by creating better content such as avatars, animations, quests, items, etc. But that requires hard work and dedication. You have to give more than you receive! Your reward is the sincere appreciation of players that interact with your content.

But when you can not contribute meaningfully and honestly to the common wealth of the game world, there is no way for you to make a positive mark on the world; you can only contribute negatively, by harming someone else's enjoyment.

Sure, in a PVP world you can make your mark. A black mark, right next to your name: K.O.S. or PIRATE.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 8:03PM (Unverified) said

Thanks for the link! I agree with what you wrote, I just wish we did not always have to drop to that level in all games.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 1:24PM GRT said

"Plus, the whole "carebear" mentality goes hand in hand with how our society has developed. In our country especially, most everyone (that does not mean ALL people) now expects things to to be given to them. A life, a job, a car, an "epic sword".. whatever. They want it all, want it now, and don't want to work to get it. Sadly, that's a fact and not just the ramblings of a mad man."

Oh, puh-lease... how many people here have been given a car? As to your life, yes, your momma gave that to you. How else would you get it?

These are games that we pay to play. We work all day to earn the money to give to the game publishers so that we can play the game.

This idea that we should then have to "work hard" to get to enjoy the game that we already worked hard to pay to play is just silly.

Should there be challenges? Absolutely. But should we have to play to the point where we endanger other parts of our lives (relationships, the job that lets us pay in the first place, etc). Of course not and I'm sure the author doesn't expect that either.

But where's the line? Should we have to make playing an MMO be the sole focus of our leisure time in order to enjoy it?

I suppose that's the line between hardcore and casual. Some of us do want to watch a movie, go out with friends, dance with our brides...and not spend every night raiding and grinding.

So, if I'm reading you right, that makes us "carebear" and worthy of your insults, Eli?

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 1:30PM (Unverified) said

You are not a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 3:00PM KaTing said

"Sadly, that's a fact and not just the ramblings of a mad man."

If it's a fact, then back it up. Journalism 101.

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 3:31PM (Unverified) said

"If it's a fact, then back it up. Journalism 101."

Google the term "entitlement mentality" and peruse the over 85,000 entries. I don't have the time to convince you of something that every Tom, Dick and Jane knows exists. When someone asks someone else to prove something that is mainstream knowledge (much like breathing oxygen is required to live), Willy Shakespear's famous [metaphorical] quote always pops into my head: "Thou dost protest too much."

Posted: Jan 2nd 2008 3:47PM Ghen said

I consider myself an attention whore (could you tell?). So as an attention whore in a game with 9.3 million heroes just like me how do I stick out? Well, I find a niche and fill it. My warcraft account has 2 375 jewelcrafters with every recipe available (pre zul-aman when I canceled). I'm just 'that guy' that you go to for gems because I'll not only sit down and show every person that asks how gems work but I'll also do it for free.

So special? Yeah, I'm as special as I need to be to feed my ego. It works well. There's no real reason to think about how many other Jewelcrafters with every recipe there are because they don't affect my whorage.

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM