Posted: Dec 28th 2007 8:21AM Ghen said

All guilds should have a leader that is not only capable of being as hardcore as their most hardcore player but also quite relaxed enough to chill with the most casual. Thats why most guilds fail or splinter into sects.

Posted: Dec 28th 2007 8:21AM Ghen said

IMO :P

Posted: Dec 28th 2007 8:31AM Scopique said

I think the guild leaders need to make the intentions of the group clear, and that members need to be clear about the group they're joining. If leaders want a hardcore guild, and a person is into crafting, then chances are they're not going to be a good fit, and vice versa.

I think there's enough people out there, and enough guilds out there that a person can find one that fits.

Posted: Dec 28th 2007 10:24AM (Unverified) said

A good guild is one that does not spam guild invites. Is it really that difficult to ask someone if they are interested in joining a guild prior to sending an invitation?

I can usually tell if a guild is going to fold simply based on the fact that the Guild Master either spams random invitations and/or spams people with requests to sign the guild charter. I've seen so many guilds come and go during my time with World of Warcraft, that I honestly don't bother with them anymore. I have a select group of people on my friends list and I try to play with them as often as possible. These are people that I can rely on and I have the benefit of not having to deal with the drama associated with most guilds.

Posted: Dec 28th 2007 10:45AM (Unverified) said

As trite as it sounds: communication and delegation is key. Whether it's good news or bad, whether your member base wants to hear it or not, letting folks know where they stand is important. Delegation is important becauserunning a guild with 100+...150+ people is too hard for most individuals and even if it isn't you should always get others involved on a fundamental level so that at least some of the members feel directly responsible for the day to day running of that kind of leviathon.

As a guild leader I racked up thousands of posts in our forum, countless PM's on our website, and hundreds of hours in-game and on our Vent server hashing things out. I tried to be as clear as I could and then refreshed the message over and over in an effort to reassure folks that their raid spots were safe, plans were going ahead, and that everyone who put in effort would get gear all in good time.

There did come a point where striving for transparency became a burden though. When my officers wanted even more communication(multiple hour weekly officer meetings in Vent, regular guild mission statements) I balked. I really couldn't/didn't see anyone putting in anywhere near the hours I was, so asking even more was just the final straw. I wished them all well as they decided on a guild leader who could do what I was doing and then fill the areas where I was deficient.

So yeah, communication and delegation are nice. Knowing when to say "uncle" is good too.

Posted: Dec 31st 2007 10:52AM HadesLotD said

I've been a GM of a competitive guild that was established 13 years ago, and I've written several primers at my site and on my blog over at guildcafe.com

My guide for Developing Successful Guilds (http://www.lotd.org/index.php?page=48) is currently the most popular one over at Guildcafe.

Lord Hades
Guildmaster
Lords of the Dead

Posted: Dec 31st 2007 10:56AM HadesLotD said

I also have another primer about why guilds fall apart (http://www.lotd.org/index.php?page=70), and it goes over the basics of why most new guilds fail. Most new guilds fail in their first year of existence, or when they try to transcend to a new game.

Anyway I'd be happy to contribute to the discussion in any way possible, and wanted to leave brief comments so I don't clutter up the blog here.

Thanks!