Posted: Dec 15th 2007 9:12AM (Unverified) said

I got hooked to Asheron's Call because of the hardcore PVP. I only realized later that AC is one of the few true open world games. There arn't zone walls, or specific entrances to places. You can just log in, pick a direction, and run until you hit a coastline. It was really the ability to be able to take someones stuff after you kill them that made me stay so long.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 9:36AM MilitantRabbit said

FFXI at level 23.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 10:35AM (Unverified) said

Hmm....I think I became hooked the first time a played CoX or WoW, simply because of the ability to go wherever you want and do whatever you want, unlike many linear games that you don't have much freedom in.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 11:22AM GreenArmadillo said

For me, the draw of MMO's is the ability to benefit from extra time and effort spent optimizing your character by tackling tougher content. In most single player RPG's, the only reward for spending extra time leveling, getting better gear, etc, is an easier game. In an MMORPG, you've always got the option of tackling higher level quests, or trying to solo quests intended for groups, and there's nothing more satisfying than knowing that you can beat content that you weren't intended to be able to beat.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 11:44AM Durinthal said

I got hooked on MUDs first, for various reasons. I still haven't spent as much time in MMOs as I have my single favorite MUD, so I guess I'm still looking for the graphical equal to it.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 12:04PM Jeromai said

Oddly enough, I found WoW's newbie experience extremely linear. One type of armor, one general questline to follow that ramps up per set of levels and I got bored shortly.

The short answer is that everyone's looking for the elusive quality of fun.

Problem is, everyone's definition is different. I personally like exciting twitchy combat (less autoattack the better), an immersive world with graphics that lean more to realism, broad ability to customize the look of my character (customizing performance is a bonus), some innovative systems to explore and yes, the ding.

The one elusive essence that I'm still searching for and failing to find, is that of story and character development through significant meaningful choices. Of feeling like a hero at the heart of one's own story. Then again, it's still a holy grail in singleplayer games, so hoping to find it in an MMO might be just cotton candy dreams.

Posted: Dec 15th 2007 1:44PM (Unverified) said

I don't think it's one specific part of the game mechanics.

The moment that hooked me to SL, was when I recognized how much freedom it offered (the last game I played before entering SL was Splinter Cell, although that's not an MMO, but I mention it because it was also the freedom and the choices there which intrigued me).

Posted: Dec 16th 2007 12:11PM (Unverified) said

When I started playing LOTRO, I ran by an NPC after completing a quest and she said 'Thank you so much for helping me with those crooks, [my name]'. It blew me away!

Posted: Dec 16th 2007 8:04PM (Unverified) said