Posted: Dec 12th 2007 11:53AM (Unverified) said

is the comment confirmation system borked? if not, where is my comment? it can't have been blocked cause of URLs, I only used 2 out of the 3 it says I can use.......... :/

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 11:59AM (Unverified) said

(second try to post this comment, lets see if the confirmation link works this time.....)
I-Second Life in the future? Xp

ps:would you guys mind changing Cory's picture? perhaps making the
logo smaller and putting it in his forehead, like those things (dunno
the name) some people have on India, or perhaps scaling the hand so
the eye matches his, and putting it over his left eye a bit like
Chakotay ( http://dqcafe.section-disparu.com/pictures/chakotay.jpg )
or Seven of Nine (
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/136/355432977_755e71aacd_o.jpg ), both
from StarTrek:Voyager

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 1:13PM (Unverified) said

For the uninitiated, could you explain exactly what the difference of opinion was that lead to Cory being fired?

I have an image of where SL should be going, but firing it's technical guru is not a hopeful sign.

However, being personally acquainted with SL's technical aspects, I can say that his firing might eventually be a good thing for the company, if it forces them to spend more money on creating a more professional, community-based approach to software improvements going forwards.

SL is technically a mess, designed and programmed by a genius, but also requiring a genius to get any real performance out of it.

So it's apparent that the argument was about the platform's future, closed vs open, corporate versus community. The question is, which viewpoint won the argument, and which one is on unemployment now?

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 1:40PM (Unverified) said

Agreed, absolutely. It's great that Cory got SL this far, but I think it's also clear that some serious changes are needed for to continue forwards. I just hope that this makes it more likely we'll see them, rather than less...

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 4:10PM (Unverified) said

The first time I got to hang out with Cory (other than walking by him while he was on the phone in San Fran) was at State of Play III in New York. We ended up at a karaoke bar, and it was near Halloween; Cory had a small pumpkin he drew a face on, and would hold it up, saying "I AM THE METAVERSE!" in a horrible screeching voice.

One of my favorite moments, as it felt like SL in RL. Best of luck to Cory, not like he'll need it. :)