Posted: Dec 11th 2007 8:53AM (Unverified) said

I usually end up switching to another game, or put a pause on MMOs altogether. Sadly, I don't even get to the raiding part of any game before I stop, and when I come back and try to play my old characters, I feel lost, and end up re-rolling. I had stopped WoW one particular time to play Auto Assault, which if not fun, was at least different.

Right now I'm on EQ2 and level 23 after a few weeks. Its pretty interesting, there are relentless quests to keep you busy. I think the small user base is what attracted me. There aren't millions of servers packed with people 24/7

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 8:59AM appsbyaaron said

Burnout is the reason I won't pay-to-play. Every game has a burnout point IMO. I deal with it by trying other games, reading more, watching more tv, talking to my kids, sexing my wife and sleeping.

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 12:29PM (Unverified) said

[Insert obligatory "sexing your wife is what I do, too!" remark *here*]

Four hours, and nobody had made that joke yet? What, are we mature around here or something? ;-)

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 12:56AM (Unverified) said

"Talking to my kids." haha. Nice. :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 9:35AM (Unverified) said

I fire up my console for some solo play (hockey, football, Guitar Hero).

I read books. I pretend to write. I make a nuisance of myself in online forums. I wonder which one of my cats left a gift that keeps on giving in the litterbox last night. I do all those little, responsible, adult-type things that tend to languish when the game attains primacy during non-work hours.

I catch up on sleep. That's a biggie.

I log in to solo stuff, or run on an obscure alt, or help somebody out, while still socializing.

Also, I hear tell that there may, in fact, be pictures of (nearly-)naked women, some of them quite fetching, waiting to be seen on the Internet. I might look into that.

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 9:53AM (Unverified) said

Half. Life. Two.

In all its incarnations and glory. And then why I tire of jumping out of my chair when a zombie lurches around a corner (even though I KNEW he was there), I go back to WoW. It's a perfect world.

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 11:20AM (Unverified) said

I used to burn out in MMOs because I'd be so invested in one character that playing another seemed like a waste of time, but I didn't want to play my main.

City of Heroes changed that. I probably have 3 dozen alts across 4 servers. Some of them are end-game, some in their 30's, some in their 20's or teens, and a good handful of lowbies. All of them are different archetypes and builds, villains and heroes, big beefy guys and little frail ones, my characters run the gamut.

But I only focus on three or four at a time, casually switching between them. Sometimes I don't do missions, sometimes I hunt for badges or craft. I spend a lot of time maintaining our supergroup bases, which is more like playing The Sims than an MMO.

I guess what I'm saying is, the solution for me was playstyle variety, and a very non-committal approach to MMO gaming. If it starts to feel like work, change it up. It's all just for fun anyways. You can't take it with you.

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 12:01PM (Unverified) said

There's a difference between burnout and disinterest in the content the game has to offer you at your level.

I was off WoW for a while when I hit 70 because I didn't want to spend all my days farming gold for the epic mount to open up the new Ogri'la content. Then after 2.3, I got into the daily cooking quest, BG quest, arena season 1 gear for honor, and the lowered heroic requirements. Now I can't play enough, and doing all that, I'm still slowly getting more gold towards my mount.

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 12:26PM (Unverified) said

I hate wow grinding its not fun at all and that new pvp grindfest and so on make me want to stop play the game complete :(

I am looking into Lineage 2 I try LOTR and realy dislike the loading screens and so on it does look like a copy of WOW and I realy not am not big of a fun of LOTR and looking for something new.

Lineage 2 not got any trail I not sure of it will be to much like GW/WOW

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 12:34PM (Unverified) said

I pretty much do all of those things you mentioned. I log in now and then, usually to help out someone with something. I go play other games. And, I do RealWorldStuff (TM).

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 12:48AM (Unverified) said

What is this real world you speak of? Do you mean Second Life?

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 4:17AM (Unverified) said

Exactly, Matt. Second Life. :)

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 12:44PM GRT said

I also head to the consoles for some single-player, story-driven gaming.

I generally cancel my MMO accounts at the first sign of hesitation to log in. I figure I can always start it up again, and these are games to me, not a lifestyle, so why bother 'forcing' yourself to play?

Posted: Dec 11th 2007 5:02PM (Unverified) said

Burnout eh? That has to be the worst part about MMO's.

I usually pop in a console game or fool around on forums if I have nothing better to do.

But since I'm mainly a CoX player, most of the time if I can't solo a mission or don't feel like grouping up with anyone for some odd reason, I'll simply create a new character (half the fun being the actual character creation itself).

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 12:29AM SeanG said

I clone jump back to Empire and run some L4's. Perhaps scan down a Grav hit and do some mining.

Posted: Dec 12th 2007 12:53AM (Unverified) said

Burnout. What to do... What to do. twiddles thumbs. Let's see. I turn to the web, other hobbies, like, reading about MMOGs. haha. I go outside, fly a kite, realize that sucks when I can be a mighty shaman that hurls the magicks, and go back to another MMOG like a sad little puppy. It's a vicious cycle. :)

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014