Posted: Dec 7th 2007 12:26PM Rich said

MxO had this system put in a while ago. It allowed to go back and play the story missions as the chapters progressed. It helped bring the new people up to speed on the events so far and allowed those of us that missed then to come back and do them at a later date.

Now granted, they weren't pivotal to leveling, but it was a nice feature to have.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:03PM (Unverified) said

I think it's a little early to call success on this one. Give it six months and we'll see what the players think of it then.

The problem with introducing features like this is that it always runs the danger of damaging the player's suspension of disbelief and hurting the overall "feel" of the game. Too many little "conveniences" and the game starts to feel really fake and pointless, in other words. But time will tell, of course.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:36PM (Unverified) said

I think you're jumping a little to conclusions. While I think it's a success, I do say it's better to wait and see whether the system, overall, is a success as well. And if it is, it'll pave the way for such a system of revisiting to other MMOs. I know that the players of Uru Live have been clamoring for a system to see the live roleplay events, so it's not all "system breaking"

As for suspension of disbelief, some games can get away with this sort of "time travel". CoX is one of them, thanks to the completely fantastical setting where anything goes.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:05PM (Unverified) said

Which quests in WoW don't let you do them once you reach a certain level? They stop showing up as yellow ! but you can still talk to the person to take the quest. You won't get xp, but you will get more gold than you would have (assuming your level 70) before that, you just get diminishing returns on the amount of xp you'd get, but you will still get the full amount of reputation.

So it's worth it for a level 70 who wants to increase rep with Orgrimmar to go down and do the quests in Sen'Jin village, for example.

The only quests I can think of would be holiday ones. And those would be available the next year. If there are some, I'm going to need to roll another alt so I can experience them too if I missed them.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:09PM (Unverified) said

ooh - just realized I'm guilty of one of my own pet peeves. I meant to say "assuming you're level 70" not your. Ick. Many apologies.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:48PM (Unverified) said

It's more along the lines of the quests becoming (mostly) worthless. There's no incentive to do the quests unless you desperately need the rep, and even then,l there's no real good items/money/exp to get out of grey quests.

A system where you could reduce your effective level (Much like the lackey system in CoX) and then it gives you experience more tailored to your current level would be nice. As well as scalable quest rewards for doing these "lower effective level quests", such as more XP, the system should probably nerf equipment (A level 1 with level 70 epics farming Valley of Trials for massive gold? That's not cool).

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:34PM Scopique said

This is all well and good for CoX, but the superhero motif allows for crazy antics like time-travel. I suppose it could be fashioned into a fantasy setting as well, but sci-fi games (STO notwithstanding) would be hard pressed to pull this off and make it look legitimate.

Don't get me wrong: it's an ass-kicking solution to what-has-yet-to-become a recognized pandemic, but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution in it's basic form. Care needs to be taken to fit it into the game world AND the genre of the game so it doesn't look like a "me too!" addition.

Posted: Dec 7th 2007 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Absolutely! You do have to realize, though, that the system can be more than just "time travel". In fantasy oriented-MMOs, a system could be put in place to simulate the loss of rank within the faction, allowing you to redo old missions. That's only one way, and I'm sure there are far more.

As for sci-fi games, I think they are probably better suited for the "time travel" explanation than anything else. Maybe in TR a wormhole is found that tunnels through time as well as space. Maybe in SWG you encounter an ion storm that causes you to be flung to the past. The real problem with that sort of time travel is with the more hardcore fantasy MMOs, like EQ, LotRO, and DDO (WoW already has a time travel system put in place).

Basically it's more of a "look, the Ouroboros System lets you play old stuff. That's neat. More MMOs should do that." Not necessarily the time travel motif CoX has though.

Thanks for your comment! It's something I should have addressed in the article, but hey, doing it here is just as good :)

Posted: Dec 9th 2007 4:46AM (Unverified) said

Remember that thing in Star Trek, where they could do pretty much whatever the hell they wanted because the ship had that really suped-up room?

I think Sci-fi games would be just fine implementing their own holodecks.

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM