Posted: Dec 6th 2007 8:39AM Grizz said

MMO based radio stations are awesome. Not only do they play popular music to our demographic (gamers), but they sometimes have blurbs about ingame events.

EvE Radio is the very best example of this, partially due to the fact there is only one server so all events are on your server, and due to the fact that there is little to no dead air on that station.

I suspect SL must have a station too, but i cannot comment on it.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 9:07AM (Unverified) said

EA's NHL '99 had the best opening music of any sports title - just listening made you want to strap on some skates.

I went out of my way to pick up a copy of the Anarchy Online soundtrack. Very relaxing.

But, hands down, the best game music is "Hell March," the theme for Command & Conquer. I'm bound and determined to sneak it into a club set at some point.

All that being said, I seldom listen to my own music while gaming, because I'm used to the game's audio, and barely even hear it. The new musical wallpaper that became part of WoW has a bit of "wow factor" (if you'll pardon the pun) because it sounds *great* - but it's still deeply secondary, at least for me.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 10:25AM Ghen said

I like the music in Hellgate:London basically because it only shows up every once in a while (it seems like only when I'm on a killing spree) and then it shuts up for 10-20 minutes =) I love that! Plus its good music.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 11:24AM (Unverified) said

City of Villains has a great soundtrack for it's various zones. It does get a little repetitive after a while, though. For the most part, though, I don't really pay much attention to the in-game music for most of the games I play.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 11:31AM (Unverified) said

The theme music to Everquest always does it for me.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 11:42AM Jeromai said

Tom Bombadil's house in the Old Forest. It just...fits. Cheery, merry, and somehow very Tom. There's nothing to do there, but if I'm in the area I can't resist going in to just sit and listen for a bit.

(The only other time I've done something like that is in the very old Quest for Glory adventure game - Erana's Peace - I'd camp in the grove just for the music.)

Hellgate's music is intriguing too. I suspect it's linked to the minigame (which I had no clue about until Massively posted the guide, thank you!) but because it starts and stops with such random seeming, it's something you look forward to.

CoX in-game music I've mostly heard too much of by now. Still, the odd Atlas Park theme still stirs nostalgic feelings, and the Faultline and Boomtown ones are pretty unique too. The rest of the time, I have my own hero/villain soundtrack going from an MP3 playlist for appropriate butt-kicking action.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 1:09PM (Unverified) said

FF 7 Soundtrack will always hold a place in my heart and my mp3 player, but if we are to get to MMO on this beotch, I've always liked the music behind the night elf areas. Then again, it might be nostalgia kicking in seeing as it was a long time since I played ally, sometimes the hordes music, and even the areas, just lack the same feeling as that of the alliance.
More often than not though, I don't have music on for practical reasons. Vent is on, guildies and I just toss banter around.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 6:16PM (Unverified) said

I listen to MMO in game music for about 15 minutes before I just use my own tunes.

Posted: Dec 9th 2007 12:46AM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars is my soundtrack of choice. Jeremy Soule is one talented guy and I hope he keeps making it.

Someone sounded off Nobuo Uematsu of the FF fame. The man is the reason why I listen to most in-game music.

Posted: Dec 19th 2007 4:10PM (Unverified) said

I really did like the soundtrack on EVE... and I'm guessing everyone knows about this page, but in case I'm wrong - http://www.eve-online.com/download/music/

Other than that, I'll listen to most in-game music for awhile until I start to get annoyed by repetition or whatever and then just change to my own music.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014