Posted: Dec 5th 2007 3:17PM (Unverified) said

I play DDO. There isn't much of a ding factor in that game because there are a max of 14 levels. It takes quite a bit to level up. Since it's based off of dungeons and dragons, the game really tries to "wow" you with storyline and weird gameplay elements. That's why the game plays more like max payne than an MMO.

I am considering going back to Asheron's Call 1 for a bit though. It does have levels, but you don't have classes in that game. You spend earned XP on skills, so levels are just markers saying you've earned so much XP.

Posted: Dec 5th 2007 3:40PM Kamokazi said

I don't play for the new levels as much as the new abilities that come with those levels. I like too see my character become more poweful, to see what I can accomplish.

But I also like being thorough...I don't want to miss anything. I've been playing Tabula Rasa lately, and I notice I leave zones several levels higher than most other people. I'm nearly 21 and just finishing up the Divide. (I think that's also partly due to my addiction to Shotgun, Rage, and Control Points.)

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 7:05PM (Unverified) said

Ditto for me on Shotgun, Rage, and Control Points. I'm almost 14 and still hanging out in Wilderness doing control points and haven't even done 2 out of the 3 instances there yet. It's certainly not perfect, but the combat in TR is a heck of a lot of fun. (I love logging in and going to any empty Wilderness 6, defending the Landing Zone by myself until I'm overwhelmed and then going on the offensive.)

And this coming from a (primarily) Bartle Explorer type. I'm not a huge FPS fan, but I've enjoyed them in the past and TR appeals to that facet of my psyche. That and the addition of persistence, skills, and loot is keeping me interested despite what I think is NOT a very interesting MMO for explorer types. Now if only the TR crafting were any good...

Posted: Dec 5th 2007 3:45PM (Unverified) said

I'm much more of a content guy than a level guy. In fact, the new leveling curve in WoW frustrated me a great deal because once I reached the 50s, everything felt so rushed. I completely missed Maraudon and Blackrock Depths and will probably end up skipping Scholo and Strat.

I really wish there was some sort of "XP freeze" button that I could hit so that I could stay at the level I was on and just enjoy the content for a while.

Posted: Dec 5th 2007 5:55PM Tanek said

I recently encountered the idea of the xp freeze in EQ2. I was amazed that it just let you stop gaining combat xp. Period.

I know some twinks in WoW who would sell their souls to a warlock to be able to do that. And you are right, it would allow for much more content enjoyment.

I am a content person, too. Unfortunately, I did not start in WoW until after the expansion, so all the "old" lvl 55-60 fun was pretty much replaced by just more leveling in Outland. (woo) I wished I could just hold at 60 for a while and get a taste of what it was like before TBC.

Posted: Dec 5th 2007 6:02PM Jeromai said

I've got two modes I vacillate between. Anti-ding mode is exploration mode. Finding trivia, unimportant badges, weird or pretty places, puttering about with inventory management of some kind or just galumping off wherever I feel like it. Checking out new content also falls under here, but I don't rush through a game I like, having run content out before. I take my time to savor it slowly, otherwise I'll run out of novelty factor before the next update. Sometimes it's social mode as well, as I join a pickup group for the unpredictable experience of it.

Ding mode is meditative combat mode. I have a surprising tolerance to repetition in this state. Button push combos are second nature without looking at the keys. Avatar is fighting and reacting appropriately, and often with music in the background or for real repetition, a movie playing in the other screen as the focus for the thinking parts of the brain while the monkey mind hits the keys. Every so often, I check out the increasing number (XP, prestige, gold, what-have-you) and delight in the steady approach to the final goal. But I have to enjoy the journey there too, which means combat needs to feel visceral enough.

Posted: Dec 6th 2007 7:33PM (Unverified) said

I empathize with the OP on the mid-level thing.

My MMO accounts are littered with mid-level characters. I have a couple mid-40s in both WoW and EQ2 and a slew of 10-30s. And I know my old EQ, DAoC, AO, and SWG characters never reached endgame. All my LOTRO characters are still level 14-25. My many heroes/villains in CoX are all mid-level.

I've played with friends who are power levellers (Achievers) where it's all about maximizing everything - time spent, damage dealt, buffs cast. The game for them is statistical as much as anything and as an Explorer type it drives me crazy. Invariably we end up not grouping past the first week or two of a release because they're so far ahead.

I enjoy exploring a world and seeing new places (if it's worth exploring). I remember being a mid-level (30s?) shaman very early in WoW (before most servers even had many 50s) entering the Blasted Lands to explore. Using the otherwise useless Far Sight spell I could actually get pretty close to the Dark Portal, which, at that point, no one in my guild had seen. My friend, who was steeped in Warcraft lore, explained what it was. The combination of the pre-existing lore and the "seeing it first" experience was better than any ding I could get from leveling. Same with discovering base-jumping Feralas and getting my friends to come try it.

I also enjoy experiencing the different classes and starting areas. And with something like City of Heroes where the character creation was so damn fun, of course I'm going to make a bunch of characters and get them up to 14 (or whenever you get your major movement power). Once I got Super Jump it's all I could do to not explore every rooftop...