Posted: Dec 4th 2007 12:31PM (Unverified) said

A good thing to remember is that if it is set in the KOTOR time frame, no only are jedi everywhere, but there are also Sith all over the place as well. So it would be relatively easy to Balance PvP, and not mess with Star Wars lore much.

Posted: Dec 4th 2007 1:06PM (Unverified) said

See, all of those seem stale except the New Jedi Order, and it only seems interesting because of the novelty of an all-biological-technology race (and a living homeworld, that sounds fascinating).

But developers LIKE to work in a vacuum, it allows them to write the bible for the era and make it up as they go along. I think they'll most likely just probably continue in the same timeline that they've already written for, the KotOR era. It's lazy but safe.

I find it hard to summon any enthusiasm about any of the Star Wars timeline, really. But I'm sure they'll pull a rabbit out of their hat... again.

(I'm secretly hoping they'll do something with Mass Effect instead of re-hashing KotOR)

Posted: Dec 4th 2007 1:45PM Durinthal said

There are plenty of pre-movie eras to pick from, not just the time in which KotOR takes place. The New Sith Wars would be a good one, because they lasted for about a thousand years and had both huge Sith and Jedi armies. That's plenty of time to do pretty much whatever you wanted.

Posted: Dec 4th 2007 2:55PM Grizz said

Sweet writeup, really opened my mind to all the eras I never knew about.

Why does 'empire' link to a SL article?

Posted: Dec 4th 2007 7:59PM (Unverified) said

Hey guys thanks for reading, I always appreciate your input!

A PvP-focused Star Wars MMO would be fine with me. The problem is that both WoW - and to a much heavier degree WAR - are doing a "one side versus the other" format, I don't think Bioware (or another dev) would go that route as well.

Plus, as I said, you don't get any movie characters in a pre-original trilogy setting. Getting missions from Grand Master Jedi Luke Skywalker would be pretty cool.

Posted: Dec 4th 2007 9:07PM (Unverified) said

I'd think they'd go Clone Wars era.

Sure it wasn't the most effectively embodied in the movies, but I think that was largely due to time compression. Meanwhile, it is living on through Cartoon Network, which is sorta free advertising by itself, but also a concerted effort by the license holder, so provides other compulsions as well.

Meanwhile, if it was *me*, I'd go for the New Sith Wars as well, for the primary reasons mentioned: it gives players the opportunity to pursue what they really want: being an agent of good or evil in a time of war. If you make the premise one more focused on action and adventure (yes, ala WoW), then it's easier to let players live these lives they *envisioned*.

And if anything has a chance to be a big success, it's a *well made* extension of a very very strong entertainment IP.

Posted: Dec 5th 2007 9:00AM (Unverified) said

I'd like to see it placed in the New Jedi Order era myself, even though I have only read a few of the books in this series (and basically don't remember them well). They could either have the Vong be an NPC race or a player faction. Either way this could allow for some interesting conflict.

If the Vong are NPC only then some of the conflict within the New Republic could be the focus of player competition. This could be a different kind of PvP, not wacking each other with laser swords. Instead it would be about trying to make your faction the most powerful within the Republic. This could include smugglers, different political factions, and even the Sith. It would be cool to keep the Vong as a real faction in all of this even though they are NPC. Have them be able to take over planets etc, like the different factions can in WAR. This would force the Republic factions to work with each other even while competing.

The Vong as a player race would open up some cool, different classes but I am afraid it would just degrade into Horde vs Alliance.