Posted: Dec 2nd 2007 10:09PM gemski said

"MMOG is a genre that is ahead of the console genre in terms of innovative multiplayer gameplay."

What multiplayer innovations are you talking about? Or more importantly, what general gameplay innovations have popular MMOs given us?

I don't see the fact that WoW is the only MMO on this list as very surprising. Blizz did same thing that worked with Diablo. They took a "geeky" genre, focused on gameplay, and stripped away alot of the "hardcore" elements.

I think if an MMO were to be listed could only be WoW or UO. The reason being due to how influential they are/were.

I don't really see any reason to be disappointed about this.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2007 12:39AM (Unverified) said

Any in-game activity that pretty much requires more than a few people. World dynamics: guild politics, server economies, organized raids, mass scale player versus player, naked gnome protests, cyber, (mmos did it before live) ;) etc.

All this is the result from online multiplayer aspects that hasn't taken off yet in most console based games. There are plenty of "console only" franchises that would make excellent MMOs.

I'd like to see a few more on the list, such as UO and EQ, but yea, as I already said it is a tough list to compose with so many great games. I'm also mainly criticizing all the console loving heathens that truly hate MMOs as seen in that Digg thread.

Posted: Dec 3rd 2007 7:01AM gemski said

"I'm also mainly criticizing all the console loving heathens that truly hate MMOs as seen in that Digg thread."

Yea, Digg has become quite ugly in terms of community. I don't really participate in any threads there.

Posted: Dec 2nd 2007 11:45PM Rich said

How many MMO's are there compared to all the other games? Sure some of the MMO's out there are the most well known (now) but there is over 20 years of history and ALOT of games out there that have contributed more to video game development that almost any of the MMO's that come out.

MMO's are fairly new and like Gemski said, they have not offered anything really new. Only two MMO's should have been on the list anyway. UO for being the first and WoW for being the one of the biggest games ever. If you want to base the game off best games due to playability and fun, neither of them would have been on the list

Posted: Dec 3rd 2007 12:46AM (Unverified) said

MMOs have been around for awhile if you want to count muds and some of the old stuff on AOL. I don't really expect any of those old games to make the list. There are a lot of games on IGN's list that I don't consider fun, of course "fun" is completely subjective. Thanks for commenting, I read all the comments I get on my posts. Good to know you guys are keeping us on our toes, especially me. )

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014