Posted: Nov 30th 2007 12:01PM Anatidae said

First - Wow, what a dorky picture. Haha

Second - Tabula Rasa is interesting, but Richard went and made claims for years that it would be soooo different from the standard MMO. I would call the differences slight at best. I even love how he had this loooong online video where he goes on about how spawning and camping spawns is so bad, yet that is exactly what you can do in TR anyway - the spawns are just different looking, but they still appear in predictable places.

I dunno, I am pretty tired of the Richard Garriott way of game design. Personally, I think he is still living in the 80s. Out of the "early" MMO developers, I am far more interested in what Ralph Koster is going to do with his project. SWG didn't really catch me all that well, but I really applaud Koster for pushing some of the concepts. In some ways, SWG was a system-sequel to UO from the standpoint of economy, crafting, skills and combat. Perhaps it got to complex in the end, but again - nice job on the try.

Going back to Tabula Rasa - it just seems like a weak game. Somewhat hollow. Although Richard's talk was great when it was in development - I really thought he would make something unique there. Hopefully he can make enough money someday to retire and some new innovators can come in and produce a really good MMO for us all to play.

I am hoping that the Warhammer game ends up as good as the developers like to talk about it. They have some good concepts - although it is really DAoC-2, but that was a good game. I am excited to play the next evolution of RvR.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 1:00PM (Unverified) said

@ McBride:

I thought all of your thoughts on TR in the beta. It just didn't feel right. As RG mentioned in the interview, I think it was a major problem that they invited so many people in the stress-tests and OB before the game was really at a place that it could be called "content complete" and relatively polished.

I started playing for the 1st time since the NDA dropped just this past weekend, and I am hooked. I absolutely abhored the controls before now, and today I find myself thoroughly enjoying it. One niggle is that the guns sometimes don't switch correctly because you'll press the number key before they're done firing... where was I?

Oh yes, TR today is a far better beast than it was just a few short months ago, and I really hope NCsoft gets a real true free trial going soon, perhaps when AHs go in around the beginning of the year, because it really deserves a long and healthy life.

I want to see those planets every year, the new races, the new instances, more story, new skills, etc. But like Auto Assault, without the funds and support of a community... it won't happen.

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and I'm subscribing for as long as the thing delivers what's most important to me: FUN. That it has in spades, it's how long it can last that makes me wonder.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 2:04PM (Unverified) said

I don't hold Tabula Rasa against Mr. Garriott because it's clear that it didn't receive the final stretch support from NCSoft that it would have required to fulfill its vision.

The trickiest part of building a successful game is building a winning team to make that game, and very few developers who sign on to existing projects ever end up doing more than lending their name and credibility to the work being done by a pre-existing team.

Garriott will need to build his own team, and risk his own money, before he will be able to go the extra mile to ensure a bottom-to-top unique experience.

Let's hope he manages it sometime soon. He did have the guts to create a completely unique vision, the first MMO ever, at a time when so little market data existed about it that it looked like certain financial doom. Instead it turned out to be a goldmine, but it took real guts to even attempt such a thing.

Ultima Online is responsible for the creation of all MMO's today. Nobody would ever risk millions on an untested product model, but Richard Garriott did.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 2:06PM (Unverified) said

Which is ironic, actually, since he ALSO spent millions on STRIKE COMMANDER, which never quite justified the expense, despite laying the foundations for the PRIVATEER series.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 2:15PM (Unverified) said

This addendum makes me look like an idiot due to chronology: Strike Commander came out the same year as Privateer. Nevertheless it is also somewhat true, since Strike Commander was in production for four years and the result of that production lent much to the gameplay structure of Privateer.