Posted: Nov 29th 2007 2:24PM ExcelsiorDDZ said

Awesome interview! I am very happy with the outcome.

Now if we can get more "new" things from them once in a while to keep us going, that would be great.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 4:43PM (Unverified) said

couldnt agree more, great interview, and some answers for old jumpgate pilots or hints of what to expect. will add some conversation to the campfires.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 2:56PM (Unverified) said

I really want this game to be good. We need more sci-fi/space games in this fantasy dominated genre.

I like how they plan to approach things a little differently than EVE. I give cred to Eve where it's due, but I feel Eve has some issues, and this game sounds more "up my alley".

Thanks for keeping us updated :)

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 2:35PM (Unverified) said

I think the comment system at my comment.

It was short, but I don't want to retype it.

In any case thanks for keeping us updated, I'm looking forward to this one!

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 3:06PM (Unverified) said

Very nice interview you did here. I'm sure a lot of us old time Jumpgate folks at http://joystickrequired.com will not like some of the replies, but it was still a nice interview. It's good to see someone that doesn't ask the same old questions as most of the interviews out there. See you in Jumpgate Evolution.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 3:40PM (Unverified) said

Cool that he played Warbirds, as that's a game I always talk about with regards to creating a really good MMO experience with strong community activities and goals within it, yet at the same time not forcing anyone to group up if they don't want to do so.

Never played Auto Assault. If I ever wanted to play a MMO based around cars though, it would have to be something like the game Interstate 76. I think that would have been a pretty cool experience, since it had that whole 70's feel / style about it. When I heard about Auto Assault, it peaked my interested slightly but I wasn't really interested in the whole apocalyptic feel of it.

BTW my ultimate sci-fi MMO would be something like Microsoft Allegiance but with thousands of players over larger areas of space (so kind of a sci-fi version of Warbirds). Before EVE Online came out, I actually thought it was going to be like Microsoft Allegiance but then it turned out to be click based instead of a first person shooter perspective. Too bad too (although EVE is still pretty good in it's own way). Microsoft Allegiance's gameplay was incredible. Difficult to grasp all of the information initially but once you got the basics it was a pretty great game, especially if you love lots of teamwork. Actually the fans of the game loved it so much they obtained the rights to it and now it's called Free Allegiance.

Also one enjoyable aspect of Allegiance was that if you lost your ship it was no big deal and you could just get another one. Unlimited ships? Yes and no. Think of it more like the Warcraft II. When you started out, you might have very basic abilities as a warrior unit. As you progressed and built better structures, you automatically gained better equipment (due to a higher tech tree) and thus could fight better. Same with Allegiance. In effect, the more you helped your community (the team you were on), the more resources and abilities were given to you to do better.

With regards to Squad Warfare, I know what he means. Nowadays gamers want everything included in the game from the start. So a way to create their squad, a squad logo, maybe a squad skin/logo for ships, a squad team page with membership forms and so on. That's a helluva lot of work as he said. The easiest way around this is just to have a squad designator / name and that's it. People can then see who shot them down and let them engage in their own wars as they see fit. Very simplified but it works.

All in all definitely sounds like an interesting game but I'll have to see how it evolves and finally plays. I signed up for their beta but I'm assuming that's light years away still.

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 6:29PM ExcelsiorDDZ said

Nollind, you are now my absolute best friend in the whole world!!!!

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 6:22PM (Unverified) said

"I think the comment system at(e) my comment."

I've had that happen to me as well. I've got my email and password saved in the browser but the entry doesn't get added for some reason. To get around it, I just click the back button on my browser and click submit again on my entry. The second time it gets added.

I'm also noticing that I'm not getting emailed when someone responds on a post I commented on, even though the checkbox to be emailed is on (and it even shows as checked on my Blogsmith page).

Posted: Nov 30th 2007 7:47PM (Unverified) said

Doh, just clued in. I thought the email me checkbox notified you when anyone commented on the post but it only emails you when someone replies directly to just your individual comment. So it appears to be working correctly but just wish there was a way to get all future comments on the post, so I don't have to bookmark the post and continually go back to it to see what new comments have been added.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014