Posted: Nov 28th 2007 10:46AM (Unverified) said

I certainly think one should aim for balance across the various worlds and games that are reported on. If SL ends up getting ten times the coverage of anything else things would certainly seem to be somewhat unabalanced.

However I'm absolutely certain SL should be here. Game spaces like WoW have established their place, building on the shoulders of previous giants, and whilst SL is different I'm confident it is part of a growing trend towards less game oriented virtual worlds that will soon be ubiquitous. And when they are, I wouldn't be surprised to find any number of games directly embedded within these socials worlds .ie. the worlds acting as portals to games as well as being self-contained playspaces of their own.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:17AM (Unverified) said

Well my awesome friends Tateru, Akela, Moo, Eloise, and the others, I can't say I didn't see that coming... massively LOL

I remember that time Akela got booed because he made one of those mashed up articles about SL on Joystik. I didn't see how that would change with Massively.

What many Massively viewers seems to think is that SL is not a game, but still treat it equivalently to other games in a matter of news treatment.

SL is a massive development environment where things other than gaming actually happends. There's some politics, changes that impacts thousands of users, new products, art expositions, you name it. Hence the high number of articles.

So i predict that Massively will have to revise their policy and offer a dedicated SL portal and/or RSS feed to allow the "true gamers" to have their news about WoW/other untainted.

Personally I loved SLI because it was a truely dedicated portal and I didn't had to stumble upon boring WoW news (okay it's sarcasm). Frankly I don't mind crossing articles about other things than SL at all, even if I don't like WoW, I can be tolerant. But can other Massively readers do that? Time will tell.

Codie

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:02AM (Unverified) said

Barb, while it's true that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, having one niche title so dominate Massively's stated intent to provide industry-wide coverage is harming your site.

As a popular but not wildly popular title, it gets a disproportionate amount of attention here. The signal-to-noise ratio is skewed for folks who come here for more traditional games, even assuming that all the SL items are salient to the MMO or gaming milieu (to wit: Linden Labs' office move is *not* the sort of thing that should be covered here, as it is neither pertinent to the operation of the game nor the experience users will have while using it).

SL has earned an Apple-esque level of evangelization among its adherents, with much the same head-scratching and annoyed bemusement on the part of folks who have not drunk that particular kool-aid.

If the SL columnists are desperate for column inches (and the attendant $L or $US), raise the bar for them; a well-written SL article won't make me reinstall it, but it won't make me involuntarily wince and immediately reach for the PgDn key the way many folks do now.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 9:41AM (Unverified) said

the traffic numbers don't support your argument that SL content is "harming the site" -- the SL category is the most visited category of any game we cover.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 9:46AM (Unverified) said

This is why traffic analysis is a valuable tool. As a guest, I don't have access to this sort of stuff. :-)

A rephrasing on my part, then: "The perception that coverage is skewed SL-heavy may have an adverse affect on Massively's brand/image to non-SL-centric visitors."

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:03AM (Unverified) said

I'm glad you guys are listening to the feedback. I can't wait for a Second Life free RSS feed.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:27AM (Unverified) said

I'm a nearly-full-time SLer, but I'm also a former WoWer, AOer, EQ/EQ2er, SWGer, and current COHer and LOTROer (are those words?). My leisure time passion is online games and/or worlds - both fascinate me. So I don't see this as an either/or question.

This may be a leap, as I don't have any data at hand to support my suggestion, but I know when I'm playing non-SL games I rarely pay a lot of attention to their blogs and boards - if there's no major updates coming out, or no need for new post-patch class/skill guides, what is "newsie" about most MMOs? I spend much more time logged in and playing than I do surfing the web to read about them.

SL is different. A major part of that community sense comes from the discussion boards and blogs that swirl around the grid. We take our out-world issues into SL and our SL issues out to the blogs and boards. They seem to me to be much more seamlessly entwined than they were with WoW or EQ, etc. They, in effect, actually become part of that "metaverse" concept that's so overused.

I haven't seen it quite as much in other virtual worlds/games as I have with SL. That could help to explain the numbers of SL-related stuff here.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:46AM (Unverified) said

i agree secondlife gets more coverage for the very good reason more stuff is happening in it.

if you want more news on your mmo then write for the site

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:54AM (Unverified) said

Sorry, SL is not a MMORPG and I think you should create a separate blog for everything related to virtual worlds, clones of the reality.

The Massively RSS feed is awesome, but far too much threads are related to SL in my humble opinion.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 12:17PM (Unverified) said

I was going to post something along the same lines as Cindy; what news _is_ there regarding, say, WoW? If there isn't much, well, it's only to be expected that there will be a lot of SL-related stuff proportionally to SL's user base. The user-created nature of SL means that there are going to be a lot more changes and developments in it, and it also tends to attract the sort of people who are keen to write at length about it as well. News and gossip are much more important when there's a much greater emphasis on social interaction.

And if there are WoW articles out there to be written, why is nobody writing them? As an SL resident I'd definitely be interested to see more WoW-related pieces - I'm not a huge fan of actually _playing_ it, but I'm fascinated by all of the bits of culture and legend and folklore that have grown up inside it, as well as the landscapes, the quests and so on.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 12:24PM (Unverified) said

"The user-created nature of SL means that there are going to be a lot more changes and developments in it, and it also tends to attract the sort of people who are keen to write at length about it as well. News and gossip are much more important when there's a much greater emphasis on social interaction."

And that's why SL deserves the SLI. And not to be dumped into Massively where it's mixed on what is the most optimal way to grind your way to level 583 on whatever MMORPG is the flavor of the month.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 12:32PM (Unverified) said

Actually, you know, I posted the above and then I looked at the current front page and it's hardly overwhelmed with SL-related articles, is it? This piece is easily the longest one there. I'm not sure quite what the issue is.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 12:53PM (Unverified) said

Why not just keep the relevant SL articles and ditch the trivial, pointless ones, such as "The SL wiki is down." That is, surely, not newsworthy.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 1:02PM (Unverified) said

Newsworthy to SL players.

Those posts were a big part of SLI. Remove them, then you should bring SLI back

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 2:17PM (Unverified) said

Sure, relevant to SL players. But then, should they write articles about when a wiki goes down for any MMO? SL is on the small end of medium-sized MMO populations. A lot more people are affected by outages at, say, the Maple Story forums, but do you really think that's of such interest that it needs its own article?

--matt

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 10:29AM (Unverified) said

if thottbot went dark, wouldn't you hope we'd report on it?

the SL bloggers here are eminently qualified to determine what is and is not relevant to the SL community -- and if it's important to them it's important to Massively. if they're posting on it, it's because it's important for reasons you may not be able to determine at a glance, as a self-confessed non-SL person ;)

the whole point of this site is to be able to nit-pick to death the finest details of the most obscure patch notes for ____. i'm quite sure the SL readers don't give a flying fig about the finer details of Issue 11, but they don't seem to take issue with our decision to post about it the way some of the non-SL readers take issue with it in regards to this one particular title. nobody complains about having to scroll past 38 posts about zu online, club penguin and 36 other MMOs they don't care about on the front page to get to the LotRO posts, but the great and terrible burden of having to scroll past a few Second Life posts is just apparently too much. i understand some people have strong adverse reaction to SL but it seems to me irrational to expect everyone else to share one's personal opinion (although it's so common there's a psychology term for it: false consensus :)).

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 2:39PM (Unverified) said

It was a bad idea to merge a productive newsblog about a particular MMOV into a blog about general MMO news. While I can rip out the RSS feed for SL posts, it still sucks: bloat is bad and should be avoided.

You might just as well take Joystick and Engadget and throw them into one huge agitated blog about technology.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 3:07PM (Unverified) said

That has been my post exactly, ever since this move.

It was a very poorly thought out, ridiculous move, and I hope they have the wisdom to still undo it, and rather sooner than later.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 10:35AM (Unverified) said

on the flip side, would you want to have to visit 47 different sites on pdas, digital picture frames, cameras, FPSs, side-scrollers and rhythm games just to get all the news you want?

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 3:07PM (Unverified) said

Sure. Why not. I don't care if it's on Massively or not. I already filter my RSS. At least they have the coutesy of doing that.