Posted: Nov 28th 2007 8:24AM (Unverified) said

I think what is really needed in WoW isn't so much the personal player home, but a guild-hall in the same manner that Guildwars has. A place that's effectively a private instance accessible only to members of the guild. That way the guild can have meetings, gathers, duelling etc without interruption by non-guild members.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 9:34AM (Unverified) said

My big issue with implementing some kind of showcase for your housing in WoW at this point is the fact that I've already vendor sold both my hard won Dungeon 2 and Zandalar sets. :(

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 10:59AM Krystalle Voecks said

*nod* Me too. A thought I'd thrown out at one point in the debate was to have certain sets activate a toggle in the back-end of your account. When you completed the set, it hit the toggle and *poof* A suit of armor on a stand option opened up for you, much like you get a badge for killing x number of mobs, or that kind of thing. You'd just nip back to your house, hit the toggle and place your shiny new armor stand. :) But also having purchasable stands for partial sets, or for favorite "outfits" might work too.

There again, considering how many holiday items I still have, maybe that's not a good idea, lest I live in a clothes-rack. XD

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 9:40AM (Unverified) said

I myself don't feel the need of having a place just for myself, but it is important for certain groups I'm in to have a land to meet and stuff like that, and I know many people who like having their own place to be personalized and be alone or with their partners or to have parties etc, kinda like how people do with their rl homes

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 9:42AM (Unverified) said

oh, I forgot to menttion I was talking about SL

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 10:35AM GRT said

"Do you think that player housing is just a form of mini-game or time sink for trophy hunters, or do you like the idea of having a place to show off the stuff you've gathered together on your travels in your favorite world?"

The way you phrase this kind of implies that a mini-game/time sink is a bad thing. I can't see how giving players more choices is ever a bad thing. I play a bit of EQ2. I have an "Inn Room" that I don't do much with. My girlfriend, though, has a huge house that she works hard at, both to maintain (rent fees) and to decorate. She plays a lot more EQ2 than me, and loves the housing.

I just don't see how it can be seen as a 'bad thing' except in terms of development costs. Like I said, I'm all for player choice. Give us housing.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 10:56AM Krystalle Voecks said

Well, there are people who do happen to think of it as a time sink. If they didn't, we couldn't have such rousing debates on it. :D

*I* don't happen to be one of them, but it is a viewpoint I've heard.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 11:05AM GRT said

Yeah, but these games are all about time sinks, aren't they?

I guess that's my point...

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 2:09PM (Unverified) said

Uhh, Massively just ate my comment. :(

Player and guild housing good. Bring new people who like to decorate houses to MMO. People work hard to decorate houses. Me like houses with inside AND outside. Neighborhood instancing only solution.

Me want to use conquered monster shield as kitchen table and have dragon-scale siding on house. Yay!

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 2:19PM Krystalle Voecks said

Zug zug

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 2:40PM (Unverified) said

I think player housing is really good for a certain sub-set of players, but isn't needed in every game.

I usually have no use whatsoever for housing. However, the only exception to that would be UO. I had 2 houses in UO (one with a totally amazing location, the other with a bad loc but it was huge). I had tons of fun getting certain bits to spruce it up.

I think that was a good feature to have for UO. I was also an avid WoW player, but if they implemented housing there, I don't think I'd care. The game is just a different animal, approaching the genre from a different angle. Would some people froth at the mouth for it? Sure. But the fact that I loved it in UO but wouldn't care at all in WoW tells me that there's something different about games, and that they don't (and shouldn't) all offer the same features.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 3:21PM (Unverified) said

I'd love player housing as long as I can give my house goblin wallpaper. Now all I have to do is decide between Everlook wallpaper and Area 52 wallpaper...

The Stream Team: Firefall's farewell