Posted: Nov 24th 2007 12:44PM (Unverified) said

Eve still requires you to work for your skills.. you wont be able to buy a single one if you don't earn the isk. Warcraft almost has it right but its still a mindless grind.

I feel like the right alternative is a system that makes you slow down. Every other game people want to progress as fast as possible because all the good stuff in the game is at the end. So the blame is with companies making early content boring.

How bout a game where you're always working towards achievements inside your level. If you pass beyond it by grinding you lose out on those achievements, things that could mean the difference between having a well rounded character when you do reach max level.

Posted: Nov 24th 2007 4:07PM Pacey said

I love EvE's skill method. Sure I can set a 30 day skill and leave, come back a month later and have it done... wait... wheres the downside?

Oh, yeah, i dont have to mindless grind away at NPCs to level, just earn isk, which in EvE can be done so many different ways its sick.

Posted: Nov 24th 2007 10:14PM Durinthal said

I like EVE's skill system, but it's fairly limited in application. I don't think it would work very well outside of EVE or any game set up similar to it, where the majority of challenges are not just a match between experience points.

Again, I turn to a MUD (DragonRealms) for what I think is the best solution, or at least the one I like the best. In there, each skill has a temporary experience pool that you fill by doing actions that require the skill. Once the pool for that skill is full, you can then go do something else while the pool drains over time. This gives the player an opportunity to return to a town to get healed or sell loot and still not miss out on gaining experience. You could also go start filling other experience pools while the first ones are draining, and can fill multiple pools at the same time (e.g. training a Sword skill while attacking a goblin and the Shield and Heavy Armor skills while being attacked by it).

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM