Posted: Nov 23rd 2007 12:46AM (Unverified) said

Eve is definitely not a game you can jump into for an hour and achieve much. Dieing or losing a ship has some very real consequences. I lost 400 mil in implants once while PvPing and got podded on 0.0, (before clones existed) I've been playing for 3 1/2 years, I don't play all the time in fact in the last year I've played very little, but keep my main character skilling, hard to let go of him after all this time 60 million in SP is not something you walk away from. You should try the trading or manufacturing or both, try everything because you can. A battleship is small change in the scheme of things but to a new player it's a fortune, my missioning Dominix only cost 60 mil which I built out of minerals I had lying around, the armour repairer on the other hand cost me 600 mil at the time (one of the best investments ever basically 1 1/2 T2 repairers, heaps less cap draw overall too), the ship is probably worth a billion, it's just one of many ships I have floating around. Trinity looks like it will improve missioning and I am anticipating a return to Eve for an extended period because of the new graphics engine and heaps of new game play coming. It certainly isn't for someone looking for an easy game it is very complex... But no other game can supply you the same adrenaline rush that Eve does during battles either PvPing or NPC as messing up costs a lot, not just a stroll back to your corpse as a ghost with no penalty. I've lost a few ships it hurts, a lot. You can be totally demoralised first time you lose a battleship you probably won't play for a month, people think it's back to square one. Join a Corp make some new friends I made heaps of friends that I still see in game and chat to still from my first Corp. Without them I would have probably left the game when I first started.

Skill the learning skills that's critical, yes it does hold up skilling the fun stuff but in the long term it makes a massive difference. Just skill Int, Per, Will and Memory (Char can wait) to L3 or 4 then get some more fun stuff skilled then skill them all to L5. Then start the advanced learning skills.... =) Every player will tell you the same thing... People in this game are really friendly anything you want to know about it (and there is a lot) they will be happy to explain it to you. Not a game for everyone, but the people who play it are more mature than the average MMO player, which leads to a better experience overall. Once in it is hard to let go, it is a beautifully designed game with amazing depth plus everyone is on the same server from all round the world and that is a lot of fun. Plus with 5000 solar systems it is a huge place to explore.

There really isn't anything else like it, you don't pay for any expansions, content is updated regularly, when I first started there were only Frigates, Cruisers, Battleships and Industrials, now look at what you can fly.

I would though love an MMO based on something like Privateer, that would be excellent. Would really like to fly inside the ship.

Oh I'm not a math nerd... =)

Posted: Nov 23rd 2007 4:43AM (Unverified) said

You should join a player corp. Eve is all about the people and politics of inter-corp and alliance wars. Otherwise its very dull.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2007 10:14AM Pacey said

You said you wanted to do exploration type thing, so di it. The guys in my corp who hunt down exploration sites can make seom crazy isk. Of course, if all you can do is explore, you wont make that much cuz those sites usually involve some sort of killing.

As Dak said, look into a corp. I've been in mine now for nearly 2 years. EvE is the only game ive ever played thats held my interest for more than 3 months because there reall is so much you can try.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2007 10:15AM Pacey said

and apparently i cant spell either...

Posted: Nov 23rd 2007 10:38AM (Unverified) said

Hey guys thanks for the advice!

Actually, I did join a player corp after a couple of days. I'll be playing more of the game as time goes on, so I'll definitely be trying some of the stuff that J brought up.

Posted: Nov 24th 2007 6:24AM SeanG said

Yeah, it does take a while, but once you reach a certain point things change. I've been playing since April and I had a enlightening moment just the other day. I was moving to a new place in 0.0 and I just knew I had a 4th Arbitrator somewhere. I had already moved all my crap and BS's but where was this cruiser? And then I realized I had LOST A FRIGGIN CRUISER! It seemed like it took forever to save up for my first cruiser hull!

It's a curve. As time passes and you play some of the larger vessels seem much more common and easy to get/replace.

PS. The Arby was blown up 30 minutes after I found it. Totally worth it. Almost took a Recon.

Posted: Nov 28th 2007 6:07PM (Unverified) said

I have been playing for about 2 years now, and all I can say is this, SET YOURSELF A GOAL! I have had a few returns to other games but my account has always been training. The only reason I came back this time was because I set a goal, I decided that I would fly a carrier, and I am almost there, and can nearly afford it to :)

There is a lot you can do in the game and sometimes that shear magnitude of the game can make you feel a bit overwhelmed, but the goal will keep you going. :)

A player corp makes things a lot more fun, and after having lived in 0.0 fior about a year I have now returned to empire to the easy money. Having said that 0.0 was a lot more lucrative.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 1:22AM (Unverified) said

in response to 7:
Yes a carrier is awsome, i set the same goal and acheived it *hugs his carrier's killmail* oh how i miss her.... damned good fight though!

anyways back to the topic, player corps are good and all, but the reality is that EVE's lifeblood is it's darker regions, the areas where you flee from bands of robin's not so merry men with their guns hot and their engines wailing. The areas where the few who travel are old and aware, amazing allies and equally destructive foes, you should give that a try, also convo me IG if'n your interested in a little fun, names islador as you might've suspected.