Posted: Nov 19th 2007 8:09AM Ghen said

Well good enough I guess. I'm not sure if this whole stink is enough to keep me as a customer though, Hitachi makes some good drives too...

Posted: Nov 19th 2007 8:20AM (Unverified) said

I think every HDD has a few duds in their line-up. I've had some dreadful IBM deskstar units that went belly-up within warranty - as did the replacement units - and the replacements for the replacements.

It's like with motherboard manufacturers - every now and again there's a unit from an otherwise solid fabber which is just shocking. Given that every fabber has a few such disasters in their history - I don't see why Seagate seems to be going out of it's way to bury the information on their site. Suck it down, and move on.

Posted: Nov 19th 2007 8:38AM (Unverified) said

I bet a lot of people got burned on this one. I know I would have, considering when I bought my hard drive to make an external I just plugged it right into the adapter and then right into my computer.

Posted: Nov 19th 2007 12:52PM (Unverified) said

The real question is: How is the virus initiated? What program or file contains it? Does it specifically have to be run, or is there some way for it to bootstrap into operation by itself?

The good news here is that (in my case at least) the software on the drive is almost never executed. I did buy a seagate drive recently... But I'm not too worried because the first thing I did was repartition it and did an image copy from the old drive to the new drive which would wipe out any pre-existing data on the drive itself.

HOWEVER, I DID USE THE SOFTWARE ON THE CD ROM THAT ACCOMPANIED IT, so it's kind of critical to know exactly where the virus resides. Care to clarify, Tateru?

Posted: Nov 19th 2007 8:49PM (Unverified) said

The virus is the Virus.Win32.AutoRun.ah, a molar virus that searches for passwords to online games and sends them to a server located in China. It also deletes other molar viruses and can disable virus detection software. All of the known games affected are Chinese with the exception of World of Warcraft. The following games are affected.

WSGame
91.com
QQ
Woool
rxjh.17game.com
TianLongBaBu
AskTao
Perfect World (Wanmei Shijie)
World of Warcraft

The virus resides in the root directory of the drive, and is executed by Windows when the drive powers up and is connected by the Windows Drive Manager.