Posted: Nov 14th 2007 5:50AM (Unverified) said

"I have a hard time with many of the opinions put forth by the article mentioned. I don't like the definition of "great gamer". I disagree with the playtime required to maintain a "great gamer" status. And I really dislike the judgmental tone directed at anyone who seems to be trying to achieve the balance of "hardcore" MMO gaming and living an otherwise successful life."

*standing ovation*

I have always felt like the people who solely define 'great gamers' by their ability to carry out raids or other large endeavors are all-too-often trying to justify the amount of time they spend online as somehow making them superior to those who also have other things to do with their lives. I don't think one or the other is inherently superior---people just choose to do different things with their leisure time. And, as you said, you don't have to spend your whole life in-game in order to be good at it.

Both my husband and I game, luckily, so gaming is often family time. ;)

Posted: Nov 14th 2007 1:47PM Lostage said

And for your next article: "How to Turn Your Wife into a Gamer"

=P

Seriously, though, great article =)

Posted: Nov 15th 2007 8:53AM (Unverified) said

LOL..you might think you want your wife to be a gamer...but take it from a wife that is a gamer, it is even trickier to juggle family and couple time because my spouse and I are vying for that ever precious game time!

Posted: Nov 14th 2007 4:29PM (Unverified) said

As the writer of the referenced article on Channel Massive let me just say that I don't think I ever intended to say that TV time is more conducive to a good family than gaming. I'm not sure how that conclusion was drawn other than my listing the erosion of "spare time" from TV to gaming in some demographics.

Anyway, I love your advice for balancing gaming and parenting and think this is a really well written article based solidly on experience with making the two things work together. Nicely done!

Posted: Nov 15th 2007 1:50PM (Unverified) said

I just had to come back to mention this. Apparently there are just a ton of gamer moms out there, because it looks like our big Christmas season seller this year is going to be our "level 70 mom" shirt. *grin* I was really surprised by how that took off, and it's a great indicator, for me, of how many moms game.

Posted: Nov 15th 2007 4:00PM (Unverified) said

Excellent article Robin.

I came to the same conclusions after nearly 10 months of trial and error. The arrival of our first child change my gaming schedule forever.

At first, I found it difficult to manage my schedule between all these priorities. But slowly, over time, and some lengthy discussions with my spouse =), I managed to work out a schedule that works well for everyone. I get to spend quality time with my daughter, with my wife, and with both, I get enough done for work, and still have a sens of accomplishment playing EVE.

A must read for any gamer who is a parent, or about to become one - well, especially the last group!

Oh and I second Scott's idea for that next column!

Posted: Nov 15th 2007 6:17PM (Unverified) said

Great article!

Over the years, I too have run into many people who only seem to rate a great gamer based on their raider status or PvP status. Personally, I have met some great gamers who never performed a raid during their entire time of playing or did any PvP. Instead they spent their time having the most fun they could have and making sure that those around them were also enjoying themselves. Personally, I think that is the mark of a good gamer.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014