Posted: Nov 11th 2007 9:26AM (Unverified) said

Star Wars Galaxies had an incredibly powerful character creation tool for it's time. You could control many aspects of the face and body similar to The Sim's (brow, nose, ears, chin etc). You couldn't control equipment/outfit, but half the fun of an MMO is getting the equipment, not starting looking badass.

Everquest 2 has a pretty impressive generator right now, you can make some cool looking characters in that game.

WoW, LotRO, GW - I am severely unimpressed with.

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 11:06AM (Unverified) said

I love CoH, if only I could get myself to enjoy the game play. Maybe if they have another free trial for previous subscribers I'll jump back in.

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 11:40AM (Unverified) said

UO had great character customization IMHO.

You could wear cosmetic items OVER TOP of your utility armor. So I could put a doublet and skirt (dyed any color I wanted) over my plate. This means I could look how I wanted, not how the armor dictates I look but have to wear it for stats (one of my most hated aspects of WoW).

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 11:50AM (Unverified) said

PS-Preemptively: yes I know it's not char creation, strictly-speaking, but it's in the spirit of getting your character to look how you want it to.

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 12:45PM (Unverified) said

EQ 2 and COH/COV have such robust character creations that they make WOW look like some free to play dungeon runners game. WOW should def. make some sort of effort to change this as they could really make the unique-ness of peoples characters even more personal to the person playing them.

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 1:18PM (Unverified) said

Yeah, Warcraft's character generator is a TAD BIT limited compared to CoX and EQ2. A change in hairstyles isn't going to make up for that. :\ I can forgive that shortcoming for WoW simply because, well, the game has done so many other things well that I can overlook it.

Now the question is.. will Marvel Universe Online, whenever it comes out, have a ridiculously awesome character generation system?

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 1:26PM (Unverified) said

it's not an MMO, but for character creation and character control as you level, no game has Fallout/Fallout 2's SPECIAL system beat. Nothing even comes close.

Posted: Nov 11th 2007 2:41PM RogueJedi86 said

Gotta give it to Star Wars Galaxies. A VERY detailed, robust character creation system, supplemented by a character class(Image Designer, now called Entertainer) that could do EVEN more customization, meaning you could continue to play with the character customization even after creating your character.