Posted: Nov 9th 2007 1:23PM (Unverified) said

I do highly recommend going secure with your cannisters. Some folks love pinching ore even in high sec just to mess with people (I see it every night; you're lucky not to have run into it yet!). There are plenty of folks out there who are set up for pvp and don't want to deal with mining but need the minerals, so they just poach and blow you away if you try to take it back. Or warp out really fast.

Okay, confession time, I know this because there are some folks in my corp who take a roguish delight in pulling off all sorts of scams, so I hear this stuff all the time over vent. In their defense, they aren't total twits---often they purposely go after the cannisters that are obviously put out as bait rather than lowbie cannisters because, of course, that's more of a challenge and thus more fun. And if a miner is a good sport they'll generally leave him alone as soon as they've had a little fun, and move on to other pastures. :)

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 1:25PM Grizz said

Man, massively really makes me want to go back to Eve. Maybe ill peek in once the graphics overhaul is finished this winter.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 2:20PM (Unverified) said

Great beginners guide Mike. It's simple things like these that veteran players like me tend to oversee. I look forward to reading more of these from Massively.com!

I've added your guide to my Complete Guide List. I invite new EVE players to visit this list of guides. It should help out a lot.

And if you find great guides that I haven't linked to, please email me: crazykinux[at]gmail.com.

Cheers!

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 2:22PM (Unverified) said

Mmm, I guess URLs tags aren't accepted in comments then. So, for anyone wanting to see the full guide list, please visit crazykinux.com/search/label/guides/

Fly safe!

Posted: Nov 10th 2007 6:50PM (Unverified) said

I'll second Errantdreams on the Ore Theft issues. I am a miner by trade and have had multiple run-ins with ore theives even in high security areas. Here's my tips to keep you ore secure:

If you are alone then you can work up to the 'Anchoring' skill, and a hauler tht will pack more than 3000m3, and use Giant Secure Containers. These can be dropped in belts and anchored (i.e. they stay put permanently and don't pop) as long as they are 5000m for any object. You can fill one or a few of these and then bring the hauler out and empty them. Until you get onto larger mining vessals this is pretty practical. Once you get inot a tier II or tier III barge though it starts to get more difficult. A lot of industrial corporations do this for members.

My solution, and one that most serious miners eventually take up, is to get a second account. This means as one character is loading the jetcan the other can unload it, this meaning there is rarely any hanging around for the sticky fingered to grab.

Now I know not everyone can afford to do this, and hotboxing is seen as unfair by some people. However CCP have got to a lot of effort to cut the cost a little (they run a 'Power of 2' offer every so often) and they also make the client able to run more than once on a single computer so you don't need 2 computers. I have to say I find an alt great as not only does it give you greater mining output and efficiency, it also means you can persue 2 or more career/skill paths. One of my characters is a miner, the other is a combat pilot (with lvl 5 industrial skills for hauling).

Hope that helps!

Posted: Nov 15th 2007 9:33PM (Unverified) said

Good guide, Mike. Linking to Halada's PDF is a great resource too, and of course Crazykinux's site is excellent.

If anyone is thinking about trying Eve, or is playing already but wants to hang out with other players still learning the game, join the Eve University public chat channel. They do a lot of mining operations together, and it's a good opportunity to make money and learn a lot about mining from experienced players. Eve University is an excellent first corporation for players just starting out in the Eve universe. Their forums have a ton of excellent resources about anything and everything Eve-related.

Posted: Nov 20th 2007 3:59PM (Unverified) said

Excellent Post on the process of "Jetcanning".

Here are a few other 'tricks' that you might want to keep in mind as a miner in EVE.

1. Always, Always! Align to your safe-spot/POS/Outpost.
Many of the larger mining vessels do not exactly move that quickly, so while you are getting into position to "chew" on that floating rock...start a warp to your safe-spot/POS/Outpost. Then just before you warp away choose "Stop Ship". This will point the nose of your lumbering barge in the right direction so that when the NPC "rats" or PVP players show up you have a few more seconds to get away...if you are lucky.
2. Keep your clone up to date.
Speaking of "lucky"...it will happen you know that it will, you will get "podded". An NPC ship will not shoot your pod but another player will. So keep your "clone" up to date. If your clone is only storing 800,000 skill points and your character currently has 2,000,000 skill points, you will find yourself back down at 800,000 skill points after you get podded and you will have to re-learn those skills. Worste case here is that you 'insured' your ship...so you buy a replacement and 'doa!' you cannot fly it anymore. Not good...keep the clone up to date.
3. Create a book mark for that jetcan.
When you are jetcanning, make a book mark of that jetcan so that when it is time to haul the ore back to be refinned, etc. You can easily find it. If you do not you could find yourself searching for the can and if your are in a covetor or hulk...you do not exactly fly that fast so you will have to keep warping back and forth until you get back to that jetcan.
4. Keep the local chat open and in a prominent position on your screen at all times, especially when in lower security areas. This way you will know when another player enters that solar system.

So keep your eyes peeled, and fly safe...but have fun.

Duncan