Posted: Nov 9th 2007 8:01AM Ghen said

Well either they let the month ride out that you paid for or they refund the difference.. 1/27th of $9.99

Not doing either is definitely a disservice and/or a scam.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 8:01AM Ghen said

26/27ths... its early

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 8:17AM (Unverified) said

That's a rip. Are there any MMOs besides this one who cut you off from your paid time when you cancel? Outside of free-trials that is.

Good thing I don't plan on subbing until some actual content goes in aside from special events.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 8:21AM Speedmonkay said

Suncom/Cingular used to do that a while back when you canceled an account. The second you called and said you wanted to end your contract, they cut off the account but you still got billed for the whole month and not a prorated amount.
And if I remember correctly there was a class action lawsuit about it that they lost and had to reimbursh anyone who canceled a line during a certain time period. This was about 3-4 years ago so I dont remember any exact details about it.
So they might want to learn from someone else's mistake and change their policy on when accounts are cut off and let people finish their month that they already paid for.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 9:52AM (Unverified) said

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal to offer a month's worth of anything and then not deliver on it after someone's paid.

You're legally obligated to prorate things or discontinue service when the payment would need to re-bill rather than just flip the switch and cut it off.

Especially in a game like this, where the content is expected to be released in small spurts in order to string the customer along... I think there should be a much more "pay as you go" sort of option where you're going to have to manually re-up your sub every month. I know that's not the best way to scam people into forgetting they're paying for a service and then bill them a few extra months until they remember they need to cancel a game they never play... but so far everything abut the business side of this game seems really, really shady.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 11:37AM (Unverified) said

Sorry but I skip on this game it got lots of bugs and the online play not give noting extra but pvp.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 11:39AM (Unverified) said

Hmm. I wonder if this is due to some technical consideration in how they set up billing?

If not, it's a short-sighted choice. I remember once canceling my WoW sub. It had several weeks to go before it ran out, and during that time I ended up getting back to it and deciding to re-up. If it had just cut out when I canceled it, I don't know if I would have done that---I wouldn't have had the chance to decide to play with stuff again one day and then decide I didn't want to quit after all.

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 1:54PM (Unverified) said

All these game companies are doing some pretty shady stuff to users who are not only paying for the game but a monthly fee. Seems to be just getting worse

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 1:39PM (Unverified) said

I pre-ordered HG:L, after reading great things in the previews. I'm so regretting that now, given all I've heard since the game shipped. And my copy hasn't even arrived yet (stupid USPS).

Posted: Nov 9th 2007 2:04PM GRT said

Hey Randy,

If it makes you feel any better, there're plenty of us playing HG:L and having a great time. It's just natural that people who aren't having problems spend their time playing, and people who are having problems spend their time posting about their problems on the forums trying to get things fixed.

Gamefly does that "instant cut-off" thing too. I think its a real mistake for HG:L to do it.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014