Posted: Nov 7th 2007 8:35PM gemski said

"Its no secret that the Burning Crusade was a let down for a lot of WoW players, who hoped for the epic highs and lows of the pre-expansion world."

Where did you pull this from? I think overall the majority of WoW players are pleased with the expansion. More raids, more five mans, more pvp, and more solo content...

Also about the next expansion being more personal...that in no way means world events. If anything it would be far from world events.

World events, world bosses, world raids just aren't that appealing to the majority. Blizz has posted this in forums and said this at Blizzcon.

Posted: Nov 7th 2007 8:49PM (Unverified) said

Perhaps it's just the player base I talk to and play with, but a lot of the people miss battling for Kazzak against other guilds. The build up to the AQ gates, or even the (far less epic) lead up to Naxxramas.

I think the majority of the issue with WoW world events has more to do with how little they affect the world, and how some people complain about 'welfare epics', like with the recent Halloween rings.

Just looking at WotLK with the siege engines, destructible buildings, and a few other things, it seems that they are bringing some more things back into the world.

Though it was never an official 'world event' I can even say that the old South Shore vs. Tarren Mill, or Blackrock Mountain raid wars were some of the most fun things. Far more exciting than any BG or Arena match.

World events mean different things to different people, and if it's not your cup of tea, all the power to you. I just know the folks I play with miss being able to do things in the wild world other than questing and the occasional gank/camp-off.

Posted: Nov 7th 2007 10:59PM gemski said

I really don't mind the world events. I just don't give them much weight I suppose. I remember hearing about world pvp in nearly every zone for TBC...now look at it.

Oh and one other important aspect of world events, can Blizzard's servers handle it yet? I know on my server (Smolderthorn) a few mages shut it down during the AQ event.

Posted: Nov 8th 2007 12:13AM (Unverified) said

I'm a smolderthorn'er myself, though back for the AQ opening I was still playing on Ice Crown. I know there are still a few people on that server trying to keep world PvP alive, but it's certainly nothing like what it was at TBC launch.

Posted: Nov 29th 2007 5:54PM (Unverified) said

"...but other than some really nice moments, there was nothing really personal about it."

He's right. A world event should be something that everyone can participate in no matter how small their contribution because it gives them that feeling of having a personal involvement in something larger than is normally possible. What's even better is if that involvement and contribution is clearly seen from that individuals viewpoint to the point that they can even have bragging rights about it and have a feeling of accomplishment (even for something minor).

"You see that ship leaving the harbor for war? I mined the ore that made that beauty of a battleship. Worked it with me own two hands!"

I mean really it all comes down to interaction. If I'm just sitting there watching a staged world event, it will probably be interesting to see but it won't compare in the slightest to the chance to actually effect the outcome of the world event. I mean I think that's why people want to see more interactive world events because you know that if you do something in one that changes the fate of the event, you can truly say that you uniquely did that. It's not like a typical quest where I might say "Look I slayed the dragon!" and the guy next to you says "Ya dude! Me too! Killed it yesterday!"

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM