Posted: Nov 5th 2007 6:27PM (Unverified) said

One small correction: I believe Tipa (of West Karana) is a "she," not a "he." ;)

Posted: Nov 5th 2007 6:34PM (Unverified) said

Mistake? What mistake?

Seriously, thanks. I scoured the front page for a name and didn't find one, so I played the odds and lost. Thank you!

Posted: Nov 5th 2007 7:13PM preciousj said

Actually, Lord of the Rings has a very single-player feel to it (if you go looking for it). Running around, making stuff and getting items and talking to NPCs and all that (more so than in WoW) felt like an old school RPG.

Posted: Nov 5th 2007 7:14PM preciousj said

*Plus the fact that so much can be accomplished and obtained with minimal group effort- should you chose to go that route. Maybe it's the great story that makes the difference.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 9:24AM Jason314 said

Apparently, it's _really_ hard in the cases of most MMOs to convert them to single player games.

I was never a subscriber to Auto Assault (which, I realize, makes me part of the problem), but I was in the beta for the better part of a year. We begged and pleaded for all sorts of basic changes to the game during beta that never happened.

However, despite the fact that I never liked Auto Assault as an MMO, and thus I never paid for a subscription, I always thought that as a single-player game, it would be a ton of fun. A good bit of story, good RPG aspects, good crafting and power customization, and a lot of sandbox-type gameplay as well.

When the game was shut down, the player community begged and pleaded for there to be either a patch to the game to allow single-player play, or for the server code to be released. Apparently, the client was so dependent on constant interaction with the server, that changing it to run without the server would have been a massive undertaking. They didn't want to release the server code for the obvious reasons that I'm sure there's all sorts of proprietary, reusable stuff there.

From what I've seen and how I understand the way they work, I have no reason to believe any other MMOs that I've experienced would be different.

Now, the answer to your question is a solid "Yes!" There are definitely some MMOs that I would happily buy single-player versions of, or, alternately, games where I could run (or rent) my own personal server so that it's just me and my friends playing.

So, if any of you up-and-coming developers are listening... The 'massive' part of MMO is fun sometimes, but at other times, it'd be really, really cool if me and my friends could play by ourselves.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories