Posted: Nov 5th 2007 11:58PM The Last Metroid said

Unfortunately I never played EQ1 :[ but this is what I dislike about WoW. A "real" guild is hard to come by it seems. Everyone just wants max lvls with raid gear.

Also, that's pretty hilarious about Hottentot. What a nice wife that man has :P

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 12:42AM (Unverified) said

Doing my druid epic wasn't too bad from what I remember, but yea I do remember how bad it was for Clerics. For EQ2 it probably will go in the two extremes, too easy or too hard.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 4:00AM TwistedBishop said

I don't recall the cleric epic being insta-cast or a full exp res. It was the same exact spell that end game clerics had access to. What made it an absolute necessity for raiding guilds was being a free res spell. One cleric could res up an entire guild quickly after a failed boss attempt, or be on constant res duty during the battle. (I spent way too much time staring at the wall in Nagafen's Lair waiting for the damn guy.)

The rogue epic was pretty easy and popular as well. The rest were sort of take them or leave them, as I recall, even though everyone WANTED theirs. As a warrior, I quickly replaced my epic (6 weeks spent in EJ, baby!) with a Blade of Carnage and primal longsword.

EQ1 had Epic 2.0 quests at some point, but I was long gone by then. I wish they would learn from their mistakes and keep getting an epic something any strong single group can do. I remember, years later in the post-Planes of Power game, doing the epic quests for a couple friends with just two or three other people. It was a hell of a lot of fun and, imo, how they should have been designed all along.

Making your entire 60 person guild spend their whole Saturday getting one dude one piece of his epic? Any "vision" like that needs glasses.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 5:37AM (Unverified) said

"I don't recall the cleric epic being insta-cast or a full exp res. It was the same exact spell that end game clerics had access to..."

Ya me too. I'm sure it was the same 10 sec 96% spell that you could cast normally (I had a cleric, but not with the water-sprinkler). The benefit was it didn't cost a ton of mana which saved lots of time after a wipe.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 5:17AM (Unverified) said

I did both mage (widely thought of as the hardest epic to get) and Shaman epic back when it was cutting edge and remember getting my guild most of them as well, was some of the fondest memories in my EQ time really.

Proper epic equipment (unlike WoW's 'epic' or legendaries), that lasted such a long time afterwards as well.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 5:31AM (Unverified) said

Sorry, but i have to disagree. The epic brought something really epic to the original EQ.

When i stopped playing EQ a few years ago, one of my guild's mate told something trully meaningful : "Once you stop playing that game, all that's left is memories. The best moment were those you will always remember".

My wizard epic quest, camping Phinny or Karnor Castle were some of the few things i will never forget about EQ.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 12:22PM ultimateq said

I agree.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 10:25AM (Unverified) said

@#3. You're absolutely right. I have no idea why I thought it was instant cast. Maybe at 11:00 at night, mana-less equals instant cast.

Either that or old age.

Thanks

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 4:55PM (Unverified) said

I never ended up finishing my EQ1 epic, I was a necro, and I remember having all of the tough to get parts except the cloak from pegasus from Plane of Sky. It never dropped when I went, and PoS was such a pain to get guilds to do. None ever wanted to do it and I ended up getting a really nice staff from NToV instead which wiped out any remaining urge I had to get my duck staff.