Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 10:31AM (Unverified) said

The genre definitely needs a to stay away from Fantasy for awhile and come up with new settings. I don't know maybe they should get RPG books from the 80's and 90's to get some inspiration.

How about a mix of some of the above. Or something closer to home, say 100 years from now, with the beginning of the colonization of the solar system. A setting like The Gap series (authored by Stephen R. Donaldson).

Or maybe the colonization of a new planet by settlers.

Not only do the setting need to be expanded, but the gameplay also. A year ago, a new MMO made a tentative debut before shutting down: SEED. I've got a few posts on it on my blog. Their was no combat, only collaboration.

The truth is, it's both the developers fault for creating the same game over and over, and also the players for asking more of the same.

The fact that games like EVE Online have endured and even prospered is a testament to the hard work they've put in, and the dedication to creating something different, something original, and willing to stick with it.

We need more of these!

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 2:19PM Krystalle Voecks said

I completely agree. This is one of the reasons why I consider EVE to be one of my "core" games despite the fact that I am, quite arguably one of the noobiest of the noobs on Tranquility. I'm about 4 months in, have a handful of small BPOs and make enough to keep myself in ships when I do something stupid -- but I know I've barely scratched the surface. Heck, I'm still in the starter Corp because I want to be able to pull my own weight in whatever Corp I do wind up in.

It's easy for me to say what the industry should do from out here; after all, it's not my capital they're risking in development. But I can say that while I enjoy the old formula, I am definitely keeping my eye out for games that will break the mold. We'll just have to wait and see what comes -- and hope.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 10:58AM (Unverified) said

i guess it could just be bundled in with fantasy, but I want to see a good Steampunk MMO.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 11:07AM (Unverified) said

All I've ever wanted in life is a zombie-themed survival horror MMO. Your instance runs would be looting in zombie-infested buildings or cities! It would be awesome.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 11:21AM Motor said

Steampunk! Ala Iron Kingdom's Warmachine

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 12:17PM (Unverified) said

I want a cyberpunk MMO more than anything. A Shadowrun MMO would've been logical but they made a mindless FPS out of it.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2007 2:46PM ExcelsiorDDZ said

I still compare every game I play to Jumpgate. And I can't wait for Jumpgate Evolution to start up.

If the X series of games actually went online, you would literally NOT see me out in public for a loooong time.

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 2:40PM (Unverified) said

My GODS do we need more space-based MMO's. EVE is all we have and it just can't scratch that itch that was left vacant when Earth & Beyond died.

A simple space MMO w/o some of the bells and whistles (IE completely player based economy and "realistic" death) would be great. Customizable ships (Apperance and outfitting), actual character models, and some good solid story/mission system.

a guy can dream can't he?

Posted: Nov 6th 2007 10:08AM (Unverified) said

FPS

Honestly, I don't know why this hasn't been done yet...fps is a huge online phenomenon, why not instead of looking at a list of matches...You travel a world, lvl up like in an RPG, but things like ammo and firepower get upgraded instead of str and dex, and all your favorite game types could be in there, perhaps in some sort of instances.