Posted: Nov 2nd 2007 6:51AM (Unverified) said

Hmm, pretty ignorant view really. There's no similarities between wow pets and GW henchmen. Fact is henchmen are essential to GW because the entire game is instanced. WoW is a world of people that includes some instances.

It also wouldn't be practical to include henchmen for WoW instances as they require too much teamwork. GW simple throws your hirelings after you with an /assist like function.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2007 9:24PM (Unverified) said

I agree with skalgrim and I am hoping this was a joke post because I would hate for credibility to be lost on the first day. Mercs would not work in WoW for the simple fact that it would give people even less excuse to group then they already do. Would you rather run an instance with 4 computers or with 4 people? Well people are risky they could be good or they could be down right stupid so why not just stay with the known quantity in the Mercs? The community in WoW is implementing this now anyway "5G to run me through DM!" similar thing only you have a person behind your merc.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2007 8:04AM (Unverified) said

I would totally dig the idea. I'm a soloist in WoW as well and a little extra fire power or tankability would go along way for me. Much like how it was in Diablo 2.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2007 9:14AM (Unverified) said

Expedition Flare (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=24429) lets you summon a weaksauce druid that assists you for about 30 seconds. I think Blizzard likes the idea of henchmen, but doesn't want to upset the game's delicate balance.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2007 2:11PM (Unverified) said

I think Henchies would completely upset the game balance in WOW, especially for instances that require larger groups.

If Blizzard ever thought about implementing a henchman/hireling system in WOW, they would meet with a lot of challenges. For instance, since WOW is a gear-driven game, what sort of equipment would WOW henchies be wearing? I would wager that the average dedicated WOW player would be reasonably outfitted, but for a henchman to be equipped with similar gear -- it would really tinker with the balance.

In GW, since it's not nearly as gear-driven, Henchmen are still capable party members in terms of equipment. In terms of AI and skill, it's debatable, but the game has improved in the past two years. The location flagging especially helps.

I tend to play online games alone as well, which is why I like that GW gives me the flexibility to play with people (like my guild) or alone (and just chat to my guildies/friends). Soloing is one of the reasons why, when I dabbled in the WOW, I chose a Warlock as my class. That, and I like pets. :-)

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014